Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Book Recommendation

     I would like to start with an update.  The storms yesterday were fairly strong, but there was no damage in my area.  There are more storms predicted for today.  Would you please continue to pray that these storms will not cause any damage.  I thank you for your prayers.

     The book that I would like to recommend today is "Angel on a Leash" written by David Frei.  Those who like to watch dog shows on television will know who David Frei is.  He was the long-time host of the Westminster Dog Show telecast, and he continues as the host of the National Dog Show that is broadcast by NBC on Thanksgiving Day.
     In this book, Mr. Frei tells that story of how he became involved in therapy dog work working with his Brittany dogs Teigh and Belle.  These two dogs brought great help to those in the hospitals that Mr. Frei and his wife took them to visit.  David Frei's wife is the chaplain at the Ronald McDonald House in New York City, so the dogs made frequent visits there to help the children and their families during their battle with cancer.
     Now, the Frei's have two other dogs that work as therapy dogs.  Angel is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel and Grace is another Brittany.  They are carrying on the work of Teigh and Belle.
     There are two stories that I particularly like in this book.  One dealt with how Belle built up a relationship with a homeless man that David and Belle would encounter as David walked to work.  This man was always happy to see Belle, and she always brought happiness to his day.
    I also liked the story of how David took his dog into the Catholic Cathedral one day and the two of them attended Mass together.
    There are many wonderful stories in this book.  Whoever reads this book will learn much about therapy dog work and the important role these dogs play in helping people.
     I have always wanted to get involved in therapy dog work.  However, I have never had a dog who was suitable.  Toby would not have been a good therapy dog as he only liked me and no one else.  My Labrador, Colm was too excitable to be a good therapy dog.  If I ever get another dog, maybe I can train him to do this important work.
     Just to be clear, Toby was my own personal therapy dog.  He helped me to make it through some really bad times.  He did his job just fine.

No comments: