Friday, May 19, 2017

Weekend Sermon -- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

      Welcome to a new edition of the Weekend Sermon.  Thank you for reading the blog.  I hope that everyone is doing very well.
     We are having terrible weather where I live.  Last night, my house and general area were not damaged.  However, we received very heavy rain.  Some forecasters are calling for over 5 inches of rain tonight.  If there is that much rain, I will have a flooded house, unless there is a miracle.   I thank you for your prayers yesterday, and I would ask that you please be in prayer again today.
      With all of this stress about the weather, health problems and stress from work, I am really getting down.  I'm trying to keep going with writing and ministry.  Please pray for me.  I thank you for your prayers.
     I don't just ask for prayers for myself.  There are a lot of people in my area that will have a mess if this weather doesn't straighten up.
     In prayer, please continue to pray for peace in this world.  Syria, South Sudan, Iraq and Afghanistan really need our prayers.
     This week, I heard two distressing reports.  I heard that there are cases of Ebola in Congo.  Pray that this will be contained and that those who are sick will get well.  I also heard that there is famine in parts of Africa with as many as 20 million being affected.  Pray that these people's needs will be met.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, please pray for Singapore and Benin.  Pray that the message of Jesus' love will reach these two nations.
     We have been going through a series of messages on the parables of Jesus over the last few months.  I intended to continue with that series today.  However, with all that is going on in my life, I just wanted to focus on some verses in 2 Corinthians that have been meaningful to me.
     In verses 16-18 of this chapter, the Apostle Paul writes about the afflictions of this world verses the glory of eternity.
     Throughout the period of his ministry, Paul had many persecutions, afflictions and times of discouragement.  Paul was beaten several times, and once he was left for dead.  He also had a thorn in the flesh that the Lord did not see fit to remove.  Through all of this, Paul remained faithful to the Lord, and he tried to serve the Lord to the best of his ability.
     In verse 18, Paul says, "We look not to what is seen but to what is unseen, for what is seen is transitory, but what is unseen is eternal."
     I am attempting with the Lord's help to have this type of attitude.  All of the problems and troubles of this life do not compare to the joy that is awaiting for those who are in Christ Jesus.
     One day, I know that this set of trials will be past and I will be with Jesus for all of eternity.  I will be reunited with my Mom and Dad and my friend Toby.  I have to keep my focus on this.  Sometimes, I will admit that it is hard.
     If you are going through a lot of trials and troubles in your life right now, I know how you feel.  I hope that you will try to keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus and know that He is with you through every struggle.
     I don't know what is going to happen with the struggles I am facing now.  But I know that Jesus is with me.  I know that one day I will be with Him.  When the day comes and I see Jesus face to face, all of the trials of this life will be over and I believe that they will be forgotten.
     That's about all I wanted to say this week.  I am hoping and praying for better days.  I know that Jesus is alive, and that is all that really matters.
     I am not sure what the blog schedule is going to be this next week.  It is going to depend on what happens with the storms and some other matters.  I hope to post on a regular schedule.  I will keep you updated.  May God bless you all.  Amen.

No comments: