Friday, July 21, 2017

Weekend Sermon -- "Romans 8:31-39"

     Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I am so very glad to be with you today.  I am a little bit late in posting the sermon today because one of my window air-conditioners went out, and I had to get it replaced before the really hot part of the day sets in.  I am thankful that my brother came over to help me.  I hope that all of you are doing very well today.
     I have some important news to report.  As of yesterday, I am looking for another job.  The place where I've worked for the last three years was implementing some things that I just could not go along with.  I thought about this for a long time, and I believe that the right thing to do was to move on.  I am going to work a lot  more on my writing as there are a lot of writing jobs for me to do.  I would also like to get a part-time job to help supplement the leaner times in writing.  I would ask that you pray for me during this time.  Pray that writing will go well and that I will find a good part-time job where I don't have to feel bad, stressed and sick all the time.
     I am going to be working on a major writing project involving the Sermon on the Mount.  I am already part of the way through on this.  Please pray that this will go well.  This is something that I have wanted to do for the Lord for a very long time.  Also, please pray that the storms predicted for my area on Saturday will not be bad.
     In other areas of prayer, please pray about the situation in the Central African Republic.  I heard on NPR the other morning that warring factions are intentionally targeting children.  This is terrible, and we all need to pray about this.
     Please be in prayer for those in Yemen, South Sudan and Congo that are beset with various epidemics.  Pray that they will receive the help that they need.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let's pray for the nations of Iran and Uzbekistan.  Pray that people in these two nations will hear and respond to the message of Jesus' love.
     Last week, we took a break from our ongoing series on the parables of Jesus.  We will be doing that again today.  Next week, we will return to our parables of Jesus series and stay in that series until we finish the messages I want to bring on that.
     Today, I would like us to focus our attention on a passage in Romans that means a lot to me because it speaks so eloquently of the love that Jesus has for us.
     Romans 8:31 starts be asking the question, "If God be for us, who can be against us?"  The answer of course is that if God is with us, nothing will ultimately prevail over those who are in Christ.  In this life we are going to encounter problems and trials.  That's just part of life in this world.  But, Jesus has overcome the world.  No matter what difficulties this world throws at us, we have the victory in Jesus.  As a minister I like always says, "The worst thing is never the last thing if you are a Christian."  We can have confidence in the fact that Jesus has prepared a place for us and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
     Paul goes on to ask if there is anyone who can bring a charge against God's elect.  Is there anyone to condemn?  Once again the answer is that there is no one.  Jesus has died for our sins bearing our sins in His body on the cross.  Jesus has been raises in triumph from the dead.  He is now seated at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us.
     No matter what the forces of evil try to bring against us in the way of guilt over past sins, we know that all of our sins are forgiven through the work of Jesus.  We don't have to fear punishment or death, because Jesus has dealt with all of this through His life, death and resurrection.  Those who are in Jesus need not fear.  There is no condemnation.  Jesus has taken care of it all.
     Paul will ask one more question, "Who will separate us from the love of Christ?"  No one and nothing.  No matter what the hardship we may face in life, it will not separate from the love of Jesus.  What this means to me is that I should never doubt Jesus' love for me even in the most difficult times of life.  Just because bad things happen in this life, it doesn't mean that Jesus doesn't love us or that He has abandoned us.  Jesus promised to never leave us and to never forsake us.  That is a promise we can hold on to into eternity and beyond.
     The powers of darkness cannot separate us from the love of Jesus.  Heavenly beings cannot separate us from the love of Jesus.  Nothing in all of creation can separate us from the love of Jesus.
     We are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  Jesus loves us now, and He will love us forever.
     Whenever I feel depressed and sad, this is one of the passages I turn to for comfort and support.  Knowing that Jesus loves me even if no one else does makes me feel that I can overcome and live for Him.  It makes me feel that I can make it through until I see Him face to face one day.
     If you are facing a particularly difficult time, hold on to the fact that Jesus loves you, and nothing will ever change that.  He will always love you.
     Next week, I will have a review of a mystery book with a dog in it on Wednesday.  I will post the verses on Monday.  On Friday, we will continue in our series on the parables of Jesus.  May God bless you all.  Amen.

No comments: