Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Book Review -- In God's Hands

     One thing that I really enjoy about going to my local library is that I can look through all the books and find books that I didn't know about.  I've discovered many interesting books and videos just by browsing through the library when I'm not working on writing.
     I found the book I'm review today just by looking through the religion section.  "In God's Hands" by Archbishop Desmond Tutu was written to be a book for the Lenten season.  I think that it will be a great book to read at anytime throughout the year.
    In this book, Archbishop Tutu speaks about how that we are loved by God not because of anything that we have done, God loved us because He made us just the way we are.  Each person is loved by God and is of value and importance to God.  All that we have from God is by His grace.
    Archbishop Tutu uses some excellent imagery in the book to describe the way that God loves and cares for us.  His interpretation of Jesus' parable of the lost sheep is excellent.
    I don't always agree with everything the Archbishop Tutu says in regard to theology.  He is not as conservative in theology as I am.  However, I like to read all sorts of books whether I agree with them in there entirety or not.  As I said previously, I enjoyed reading all of Marcus Borg's books about Jesus, and Borg wouldn't have agreed too much with my theology.
    With that said, I believe that "In God's Hands" is a very good book that helped me to feel the love of God in my heart.  You can't expect much more than that from a book.


P.S.  -- Please continue to pray for those in Mexico who are suffering as a result of the earthquake.  Also, pray for those in the path of the hurricane down in the Caribbean and Puerto Rico.
     They are calling for bad storms in my part of the country as well.  Please pray that these will not materialize.  Thank you.

No comments: