Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Book Review -- A Thousand Mornings

     I thought that I'd read just about all of the poetry books that Mary Oliver has written.  I realized that I'd missed one when I was looking through the poetry section in the library and came across her poetry collection entitled, "A Thousand Mornings".  As some of you probably know, Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets.  I've reviewed and recommended her poetry books here on the blog in the past.  Early this year, I reviewed and recommended her new book of essays entitled "Upstream".
     "A Thousand Mornings" is a beautiful collection of poems.  If you've never had the opportunity to read Mary Oliver's work, this book would serve as a good introduction.  Much of Mary Oliver's work is about nature and the feeling of awe that it inspires.  I find her poetry to be simple and yet profound.
     Ms. Oliver had a dog named Percy, and she's written many poems about that little dog.  In this volume there is a Percy poem as well.  I think it is the best of all of them.  I would post it here on the blog, but that would get me into copyright problems.
     I hope that you will take the time to read this poetry collection and other collections of Ms. Oliver's work.  I've enjoyed writing poetry for many years now, and I love to read poetry collections from a variety of poets.  I wish people would take the time to read more poetry.  There are many good poetry collections available at your library or local bookstore.

No comments: