Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Christmas Joy

This is a reposting from three years ago. I thought that I would share it again.


     Today, I would like to tell you about a few of my cherished Christmas Eve and Christmas memories.
     The best Christmas memory I have from when I was a young boy didn't start out that well.  When I was young, I had extremely poor health.  Just before Christmas, I had been sick with a terrible bout of pneumonia.  The doctor's weren't even sure that I was going to make it to Christmas.
     That Christmas, the gift I wanted more than anything else was a Stretch Monster.  This was a type of action-figure that was filled with some type of solution that allowed it to stretch far out and then return to normal size.  They were very hard to find, and I kind of doubted that my folks would be able to get one.
     That year, my health improved just before Christmas Day.  Waiting for me under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning was a Stretch Monster.  I kept that thing for 25 years.  Eventually, it fell apart.
     My best Christmas memories in more recent years involved my friend Toby.  I remember one Christmas Eve that was very fun.  The two of us were together by ourselves because my parents had gone to a Christmas party with my Dad's children from his first marriage.
      For Christmas that year, I received a telescope that I'd wanted for a long time.  On Christmas Eve, I decided to assemble the telescope and go out for an observation session.  I'd loved astronomy for a long time, and I studied astronomy in college for a little while.
     As always, Toby had to be a part of whatever I was doing.  While I was trying to assemble the telescope and the mount, Toby kept crawling in and out of the boxes and pushing the packing materials all over the living room floor.
     I finally got the scope set up, and Toby and I went out to observe.  It was a clear and beautiful Christmas Eve night.  We stayed out for hours looking at the stars filled with awe and wonder at the creative power of the Lord.
     The last Christmas Eve that I spent with Toby was extra special.  Toby had been diagnosed with liver cancer the previous May.  He had surgery, but the oncologist had not expected him to live more than six weeks.  Toby was still going during Thanksgiving, but when December rolled around, he wasn't feeling well at all.
     I thought that the cancer was finally taking its toll, but Toby had a very bad lung infection.  It took about three full weeks of treatment, but by the grace of God, Toby pulled through.  Since he had been so sick, I chose to stay with him during Christmas Eve.
     I love listening to the BBC on radio, and they often have religious broadcasts on.  I tuned in on Christmas Eve because I knew that they were going to have a broadcast from a large cathedral in England.
     It was a beautiful service.  During the message, the dean of the cathedral spoke about remembering those who are important to you at Christmas time.  He invited everyone to lay their hand on someone they love and repeat a Christmas prayer of thankfulness.  I placed my hand on my friend Toby and thanked Jesus that Toby and I could spend another holiday season together.
     By the way, in spite of what the oncologist said, Toby lived for 13 months after his surgery.  It was one of the best years of my life.
     I hope that all of you who read this blog have some great Christmas memories.  I hope that this Christmas season is filled with peace and joy for you all.  Give God all the glory this Christmas for the gift of His Son the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: