Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A DVD Recommendation and a Poem

     I stated in the sermon on Friday that I was going to have a review of a dog book today. However, I saw a DVD that I wanted to recommend because it was so good. A couple of days ago, I checked out a DVD at the library called, "India's Wandering Lions". It was a program originally broadcast on Nature on PBS.
    This was a fantastic video that showed how Asiatic lions are expanding and interacting with humans. At one time, Asiatic lions roamed throughout the Middle East and India. Because of hunting, the population dwindled all the way down to 20 lions who lived in the Gir Forest in India.
     The Indian government placed the lions under protection, and the population recovered and stabilized around 300. In the last few years, the lion population has grown, and the lions have wandered outside of the Gir Forest area.
     The DVD showed how the lions are getting food, and how the people in the villages are learning to live with lions so close. They are living with the lions without harming them.
     I highly recommend this DVD. It is one of the best wildlife programs that I've seen for awhile.


     Now, I would like to post a poem that I had published in The California Quarterly in 2004.

Fragments

A momentary glimpse
Fleeting, passing glances
Chit-chat conversations
Little insight into the soul.

Copyright. 2004 Willard Stringham   

No comments: