Friday, March 16, 2018

Weekend Sermon -- "God Won't Give You More Than You Can Handle?"

     Welcome to this edition of the Weekend Sermon. Thank you for taking the time to read the sermon, and other posts on the blog, this week. I hope that everyone is having a very good week.
     I have been having a good week in writing. I am thankful to the Lord for that. I had fun posting some good memories on the blog yesterday. I hope you will read that post if you get the chance.
     I would like to ask for your prayers in a couple of matters. First of all, the weather people are calling for some bad storms in my part of the country today. Please pray that these bad storms do not materialize. Also, I am having a health concern. I haven't been feeling well, and I've been on some antibiotics. This medicine is making me sick. Please pray that I will start to feel better. Thank you for your prayers.
     In other matters of prayer, please pray for those in Papua New Guinea who need assistance following the earthquake there. The last report I read stated that 145 were now reported dead, and the nation was still having small earthquakes. Pray that these people will receive the aid and assistance that they need.
     Continue to pray for those in Puerto Rico recovering from the hurricane. Also, pray for those in the eastern part of the United States who had the bad snow storm with wind.
     Let us continue to pray for peace in this world. Pray of peace in Syria. Let us also remember to pray for peace in Libya, Yemen, South Sudan and Afghanistan.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for Botswana and Kyrgyzstan. Pray that those in these two nations will hear the message of the love of Jesus.
     Over the last few weeks now, we have been in a series of messages studying some verses that are often taken out of context and some phrases people use thinking that they are in the Bible, but they really are not,
     Last week, I stated that we would be studying a verse that records a statement from Jesus that is often misinterpreted. I have felt led to hold off on that. I want to study on that at least one more week.
     Today, we will focus on a statement that is commonly made that many people think is in the Bible, but it isn't. It isn't even good theology.
     Many times when people are going through a difficult situation in life, people will hear someone say to them, "Hang in there. God won't give you more than you can handle." I'm sure most of us have heard this.
     This statement is a misstatement of a verse found in I Corinthians 10:13 which states, "But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it."
     Now, I think that it is quite evident that this verse is saying something quite different from the common statement about God won't give you more than you can handle.
     Let's look at what this verse actually is teaching, and then let's look at why the statement in question is dangerous psychologically and theologically.
     First of all, in I Corinthians 10:13, Paul is telling people that all of us will fall into temptation. The Bible is quite clear in James 1:13-15 that temptations do not come from God. We are tempted by our own desires to do what is wrong.
     Paul is telling us that when we find ourselves being tempted, we don't have to fall into sin. God provides a way of escape from temptation so that we do not sin against Him. We can't put the blame on God when we do wrong. When we do something wrong, it is our own fault.
     Those of us who know Jesus as Lord have the Holy Spirit within us. The Holy Spirit speaks to our hearts when we are tempted giving us the strength not to sin. It is our responsibility to listen to the promptings of the Spirit, and flee from temptations.
     Now, why is the statement "God won't give you more than you can handle" psychologically troubling. When people hear this who are going through difficult times, it often makes them feel inadequate. If a person is really struggling, and they know that they aren't handling the problems in their life, they feel like they aren't measuring up if they can't overcome by themselves. This just leads to further depression and anxiety.
     There are times in this life when we need help. Those who suffer from depression, anxiety or other psychological difficulties often need to seek counseling. Some need to be on medications to help them make it through. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help to get through the difficulties in this life. No one should feel ashamed or be made to feel ashamed that they can't cope and need help.
     So, what is wrong with the statement theologically. First of all, it implies that God is placing suffering and burdens on people. I do believe that God can bring a trial to help us becoming a better person. However, I don't believe that God is bringing pain and suffering on His children to see what they can handle.
     Much of the suffering and hurt in this world happens because we live in a sinful world. Bad things happen to everyone. No one is immune from losing those they love. Most people will face some type of difficulty in life. I don't see that God is the one bringing these things on people. They just happen because right now the world isn't the way that it is supposed to be.
     I don't think that God made me have depression or be born with a bad immune system. I don't think that God sent a stroke to afflict my Mother with its effects for five years. I don't think that God sent the flu to kill one of my friends when he was only 49 years old. These things happened because there is bad in the world.
     There is another theological problem with the statement. God wants us to let Him handle our problems, we don't have to carry the load ourselves. I Peter 5:7 tells us that we are to cast all of our cares and anxieties on the Lord because He cares for us. Jesus told us that if we come to Him, He will give us rest.
     When times are hard in this life, we need to take our hardships, burdens and troubles to the Lord Jesus. This shows that we are not sufficient in and of ourselves to get through this life. We need to realize that we are dependent on the Lord to see us through.
     We are also called to help bear one another's burdens. Galatians 6:2 states, "Share each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ." Those of us who know Jesus need to help each other out. We need to help each other when things get to hard to handle for someone.
     Finally, Jesus did not say that He would deliver us from every problem in life. Paul had a thorn in the flesh. All of the Apostles suffered, and 11 were put to death.
     Jesus did say that He would be with us through this life and throughout eternity. He told us that He would be there to give us strength until and through that day when we come to be with Him in the place that He has gone to prepare for us.
     I know that I could not have made it through to this point in my life without the presence and help of the Lord Jesus. I still have troubles. But, through them, Jesus gives me strength. And He has sent others to help me. He gave me my friend Toby to help me in one of the harder times in my life.
     I hope that if you are going through a difficult situation that you will seek help if you need it. Don't feel that if you ask for help that that makes you less of a Christian. Also, pray and ask the Lord Jesus to make you aware of His presence.
     If you know of someone who is sad or struggling, be there for that person. Encourage them and help them make it through to a better day.
     Next week, I will post the verses on Monday, and I will post a review on Wednesday. Next Friday, I will post the sermon, and we will continue with our current series. May God bless you all. Amen.
     

No comments: