Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Book Review -- "Tomorrow: A Novel"

     The book I am reviewing today is entitled "Tomorrow: A Novel" written by Damian Dibben. Mr. Dibben is the author of several novels written for younger readers. "Tomorrow" is his first novel written for adults, and it is an outstanding book. I say that for two reasons. First, let me tell you a little about the book.
     This book is about the relationship of a dog and his master that goes down through the centuries. It lasts for centuries because both the dog and the man will live forever.
     The dog's master came upon a way to provide eternal life to those who partake of a particular formula. The master underwent the procedure, and so has his dog who he refers to throughout the book as "my champion".
     The man and champion have lived together and had adventures down through the years. Then they come to the city of Venice. The pair enter the cathedral, and the man tells the dog that if they become separated to wait at the stairs of the church. He will find him.
     The man vanishes, and we start the novel with the faithful dog waiting at the stairs of the cathedral. He has waited at the cathedral for 127 years.
     Down through the years, the dog has known and lost friends. Still he waits. Until one day, he and a dog friend decide to find the missing master. A great adventure begins.
     This is a book for which I feel I can't reveal too much more of the plot or I will spoil it. I don't even want to reveal the dog and the man's names as that is part of the revelation of the novel.
     As I said, I enjoyed this book for two reasons. The first reason is that it is a tremendous book about the relationship between a man and a dog. You could not find two more loyal friends.
     The other reason that this book is so good is that the writing is excellent. When the author describes a battle or a historical location, you feel as if you are right there. The descriptive way in which he writes allows the reader to see a vivid picture of the events within the mind.
     There are other reasons to recommend this book. I enjoyed the research the author put into the book. The situations with real historical characters are well done.
     I also like the way that the plot unfolds. One chapter will deal with action in the dog's present. The next chapter will detail an even from the dog's and the man's past that is relevant to their current situation. This carries on through the book until the last few chapters when everything comes together for a great conclusion.
     I highly recommend "Tomorrow: A Novel". I hope that you will read it and that you will enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: