Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Music Recommendations -- British And American Composers

     Last week on the blog, I wrote about some of the Russian composers whose music I enjoy. Today, I want to recommend some of the works by American and British composers that I like. In my opinion, American classical music composers don't get as much recognition as they should.
     When it comes to British composers, my two favorites are Ralph Vaughn Williams and Benjamin Britten. The Ralph Vaughn Williams pieces that I like the best are "The Lark Ascending", "Fantasia On a Theme of Thomas Tallis", "A Sea Symphony" and "A Pastoral Symphony". For Benjamin Britten, I enjoy listening to "Simple Symphony", 'War Requiem" and the "Piano Concerto".
     There are a number of American composers whom I like. Here are the names and some of my favorites:

Samuel Barber -- Capricorn Concerto, Piano Concerto, Prayers of Kierkegaard.
Aaron Copeland -- Appalachian Spring
Leonard Bernstein -- Chichester Psalms. Symphony no. 1, Symphony no.3
Charles Ives -- Symphony no. 3, The Unanswered Question, Three Places In New England
Virgil Thomson -- Symphony no. 1
Walter Piston -- Flute Concerto
George Gershwin -- Rhapsody In Blue, An American In Paris

Next week, I will go back to reviewing books. I have a review of a cat book that I want to share with you. For readers in America. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: