Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Music Recommendations -- Russian Composers

     I am right in the midst of reading some books that I will review in the coming weeks. For the next two week's reviews, I would like to provide a few music recommendations of some of the music that I like to listen to.
     I am a big fan of classical music. When my friend Toby lived with me, we used to listen to classical music every day. His favorites were Allegri and Vivaldi. My favorite classical music composers are Russian composers. Their music is filled with emotion and passion.
     My favorite of the Russian composers is Sergei Rachmaninoff. I would recommend his Symphony no. 2 in E minor, all of his piano concertos and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.
     Rimsky-Korsakov is another of my favorites. I always enjoy listening to Scheherazade, Capriccio Espagnol, the Russian Easter Festival Overture.
     Tchaikovsky has written so many great pieces of music. My favorites are Symphonies 4 and 6, Swan Lake and Capriccio Italien.
     There are a number of other Russian composers whose work I enjoy. I will list a few with the one composition of theirs that I like the best.
Igor Stravinsky -- Rite of Spring
Modest Mussorgsky -- Pictures at an Exhibition
Vasily Kalinnikov -- Symphony no 1
Dmitri Shostakovich -- Symphony no. 5
Sergei Prokofiev -- Piano Concerto no. 3
Alexander Borodin -- In the Steppes Of Central Asia
Reinhold Gliere -- The Red Poppy

     These are just a few of the many outstanding pieces by these Russian composers. If you've never listened to much classical music, give these composers a try. I am sure that you will enjoy their music.

No comments: