Saturday, November 30, 2019

Weekend Sermon -- Thankfulness

     Thank you for taking the time to read this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon. I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving Day celebration here in the US. I thank the Lord for the opportunity to present this message today.
     Last week, we finished a series of messages on what the Bible has to say about social justice. Today, I am going to give a few thoughts on thanksgiving and thankfulness since it is the Thanksgiving Day holiday weekend here in my country. Starting next week, I will begin a series of messages going through the book of II Peter. We will have a couple of messages for the Advent season as well.
     The Bible tells us in many different places that we are to give thanks to the Lord for all of the wonderful things that He has done. We are to thank Him for the fact that He has loved us and provided for our needs. Here are just a few Bible verses about being thankful.

Colossians 3:17 -- "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Psalm 100:4 -- "Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise, give thanks to Him and praise His name."

Psalm 107:8-9 -- "Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for mankind, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

I Chronicles 16:34 -- "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever."

     These are just a few of the many verses in the Bible that tells us to give thanks to the Lord for all that He has done for us. Since this is the time of year for giving thanks, I just want to share some of what I am thankful for.
     I am thankful for my parents. They were wonderful people who helped me in so many ways. I am thankful for my friend Toby who was the best friend anyone can ever hope to know. I want to give thanks to the Lord for allowing me to be able to read and write, and I'm thankful that the Lord has allowed me to be a writer.  I thank the Lord for giving me the chance to go to college and seminary. I thank the Lord for a country that allows me the freedom to worship and travel around as I would like. I am also thankful for my food, home and transportation.
     I hope that during this thanksgiving season that you will take some time to think about what you are thankful for. Tell the Lord that you are thankful for all that He has done for you.
     Above all things, we need to be thankful that we have been redeemed by the blood of Jesus. II Corinthians 9:15 says, "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift." The Father has sent His Son into the world that we might be forgiven of our sins. Jesus has saved us. Because of what Jesus has done, we no longer need to fear death. We know that if we are in Christ, we will be with Jesus forever in the place that He has prepared. Amen.

Prayer Requests and Other Matters

     This week, there has been a lot of bad weather in my area. We had a high wind warning the other night, and the winds are supposed to be strong again today and tomorrow. Please pray that the winds will not be damaging. Also, please pray for all of those affected by the bad winter storms here in the US.
     On Monday, I am starting a new part-time job. Please pray that that goes well.
     In other matters, please continue to pray for those in the Bahamas who are recovering from the hurricane damage. Pray for all those around the world affected by storms. Pray that they will get the aid and help that they need.
     Pray for those who are homeless. Pray that their needs will be met.
     Let us all pray for peace in the world. Pray for peace in Afghanistan, Syria and Libya. There are also many places facing unrest. Pray for Bolivia, Iran, Iraq and Hong Kong.
     Remember to pray for those facing the bad fires around the world. Pray that the fires will be extinguished in Australia, California and the Amazon.
     Please pray for those in the Congo dealing with Ebola.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those in India and Sudan. Pray that many will come to know the love of Jesus.
     Next week, we will start our messages on II Peter, Lord willing. I will post the message on Saturday. On Monday, I will post the verses. I will be posting a review of a cat book on Wednesday. May God bless you all. Amen.






No comments: