Friday, April 16, 2021

Weekend Sermon -- James 2:14-26 -- Part 2

      Thank you for taking the time to read the Weekend Sermon. I am feeling better after my ordeal with the coronavirus vaccine, and I am thankful to the Lord for the opportunity to post this message. I just wanted to make one thing clear. I do not want to discourage anyone from taking the coronavirus vaccine. The reaction that I experienced is very rare. I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying life. 

     Last week, we focused on the section of James where he discusses faith and works. We focused on the aspect of the passage that deals with having a true possession of faith versus just an empty profession of faith. We saw that true faith always manifests itself in good deeds. We are not born again nor do we receive salvation as a result of doing good deeds. We are saved by grace through faith. It is all the work of the Lord, and it doesn't have anything to do with how good we are. Our good works are a result of and a confirmation of the fact that we are truly redeemed and Jesus is the Lord of our lives. 

     In today's message, I want to change the focus on how we see our passage in James, In verses 15 and 16 James says, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothing and daily food. If one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warm and fed;' but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is that?"

     I have been convicted by the Lord in recent days about doing more to fulfill what He wants to be done in the world. It is important to pray for those who have needs in this world. It is important to pray that salvation will come to those who are lost. We can believe that God will do something to help people who are in need, and we can believe that God will send someone to tell others about the saving work of Jesus. However, it is important that we put our faith into action and become part of the solution that we are praying for. It isn't enough to just sit by and pray that somebody else will act. 

     There are many people in my country who have a lot of needs right now. The number of homeless people here in the United States is a travesty is a nation that has so much wealth. I can and do pray that the homeless will find shelter and enough to eat, but I believe that God is calling me to do  more to help those in need. I believe that He is calling all of us who are believers in Jesus to do more to make this world a better place. 

     There are several ways that we can do this. One way is to give to those great organizations that are trying to make a difference. Giving sacrificially goes a long way in allowing homeless ministries to provide food and shelter. Giving helps medical aid and doctors reach those who need healthcare. 

     All of us who believe in Jesus can help those who are hurting by finding those who are in need and providing direct aid. That might mean giving clothes or food to those we know who really could use a helping hand. We can volunteer with organizations that are trying to make a difference in our communities and around the world. 

     Another important way that we can put action behind our faith is to advocate for those policies that will help people. Those who live in democratic countries can vote for those who are committed to helping others and bringing about social justice. We can write to our representatives asking them to vote to help others. We can speak up for justice and for what is right so that the systems that keep people in poverty and hurt might be broken. 

     Now, we must all do more in order to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have been given the Great Commission to go into all of the world with the message of Jesus' love and forgiveness. We need to pray for the salvation of our friends, family and others, but we need to do more than that. We need to tell others about Jesus. We need to share with others what Jesus has done for us and what He can do for them. In this way, people will come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior. They will tell others, and the world can be revolutionized by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

     We must all work to spread the message of Jesus. We must be His instruments of help and peace in this world. The Bible calls us to be ambassadors for Christ. That means being like Jesus in the world so that others see Jesus in us and give glory to God in Heaven. Amen. 

Prayer Requests

     Thank you for your prayers regarding my health. I've recovered from my allergic reaction to the vaccine. I am still having some other health issues, so please continue to pray that I will feel better in the coming days. 

     Please pray that I can find another job very soon. The part-time job that I have right now is really not going well. I am doing things that are beyond my physical abilities, and I am afraid that I am going to get hurt. The job is also weighing on me mentally. 

     Please pray that the coronavirus pandemic will end soon. Pray that those who are sick will recover quickly. 

     Pray for peace in the troubled areas of the world. Pray for peace in Myanmar, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Mozambique and Afghanistan. Pray for peace among all people everywhere.

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those living in Jordan and Japan. Pray that many will find that peace that Jesus Christ brings. 

     Next week, we will continue with our study in James. I will post the verses on Monday, and I will try to have a midweek post. May God bless you all.

No comments: