Thursday, June 17, 2021

Life Changers -- Part 3

      Today is part 3 in the Life Changers series that I started a couple of weeks ago. I have mentioned my Jesus Quest and my revelation about the need to protect the environment and endangered animal species. 

     In this Life Changers edition, I want to tell you about something that changed my life in a big way. I've written about it several times before, and if you've read the blog on a regular basis, you know that a special dog came into my life to be my friend just when I needed him most. 

     As I've said before, I grew up attending some very strict churches and schools associated with them. Because of some of the things that happened in my life as a result of my experiences in these places, I was very depressed when I was about 17 years old. I reached the point where I wasn't really sure if I wanted to keep going. At that moment, the Lord Jesus allowed a great friend to come into my life. 

     I saw an ad for a Welsh Corgi in the paper late on a Sunday afternoon. He was house trained and ready to go the ad said. My Mom called the number in the ad, and she found out that the dog's name was Toby. I convinced my parents to go and see the dog, and it took some convincing since my folks didn't really like corgis. 

     When we pulled up at the house, I saw Toby out in the yard, and I liked him right away. I knew right then that I wanted him to come home with me. 

      I know that it was Jesus that brought the two of us together. It had to be Him who prompted me to look in the paper for a dog that Sunday afternoon. On top of that, two other families had already come out to take a look at Toby and decided that he wasn't the right dog for them. I believe that the Lord was working to bring us together. 

     Toby and I became great friends for the next 12 years that we were together. I learned later that he had a chronic condition called ulcerative colitis that wasn't disclosed when I got him. It took a lot of care over the years to keep the old boy going. The Lord knew that Toby needed someone to take care of him, and He knew that I needed a friend who would love me for who I was. Toby loved me for me not for what he wanted me to be. While Toby was with me, I wasn't depressed anymore. 

     Over the years, we did many things together. He was with me through college and when I began working as a writer. We took many fun trips together, and enjoyed every day that the Lord gave us to be together. If he hadn't come along, I wouldn't be here today. So, he really was a life changer. 

     There are things that I take great joy in today because Toby came along. Since Toby was a Welsh corgi, I decided to study the history of Wales. I also have studied the Welsh language. Because I knew Toby, I've met many nice people in the worldwide corgi community. On top of that, I am cheering on the Welsh National Team in Euro 2021. 

     The greatest thing that Toby brought to me was the realization that Jesus loved me very much. He cared enough about me to send me a friend to help me through. I've been able to write about Toby and tell others about Jesus and what He has done for me. 

     Thank you Lord Jesus for sending me such a great friend. I still feel him in my heart to this very day.  I believe that we will be reunited one day in Heaven because Jesus is the resurrection and the life. 

No comments: