Friday, June 11, 2021

Weekend Sermon -- James 4:13-16

      Welcome to another edition of the Weekend Sermon. Thank you for taking the time to read the sermon today. I hope and pray that everyone is doing very well. 

     Today, we are going to study a topic that was come to have a great deal of meaning to me over the course of the last few years. Life is but a vapor that appears for a little time and them vanishes away. That's what James tells us in chapter 4 verse 14. How true that statement is. 

     In my country, the average lifespan for a person is around 80. That seems like a long time. But, as I get older, I realize that it isn't very long at all. No one is guaranteed 80 years. No one is guaranteed a tomorrow. None of us know what the next moment will bring let alone the next year or the next decade. 

     Just like a vapor of steam, life is there, and then it is gone. We never know what a day will bring. Let me tell you of two instances from my own life. 

     One of my best friends had the flu about five years ago. He had been fairly sick, but he was on the mend. I called him on a Friday to see if he wanted to work on a project we had in mind. He said that he was doing better, and we would work on it on Monday. That next Monday morning, he died of the flu. He was only 49 years old. 

     My Dad had a call from his doctor in the morning. His doctor told him that his test results were great. In fact, he didn't need to come in to the office every six months anymore. He could start coming in just once a year. That afternoon, my Dad went to pick up his dog at the veterinary office. He said to me as he got into his car that we would go and get something to eat when he got back home. I never spoke to him again. At the vet clinic, my Dad had a massive stroke.

     My friend and my Dad had no idea that death was so close at hand. None of us do. That is why James tells us we are not to boast about tomorrow. 

     With James' information in hand, what is to be our reaction. What is the lesson from this passage. There are three things that I want to mention. First of all, since life is short and no one knows what tomorrow brings, today is the day of salvation. If you have never accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord, don't put it off until tomorrow. Tomorrow may not come. Also, if you have strayed from following the Lord, turn back to Him and follow Him is His way today.

     Second, since life is short and we don't know about tomorrow, don't put off doing what God has placed in your heart to do. If God has called you to some type of ministry, get going and do that thing that God has called you to do. If God has placed a dream in your heart, start making it happen.

     Finally, since we don't know what tomorrow brings, tell the people that you love what they mean to you today. Tell those you love that you care about them every day. Don't let someone you care about pass on without having told them how important they are to you. Believe me, you will regret it if you don't do it when you have the chance. 

     Life is short. Who knows what will happen? Our lives are in the hand of God. May His will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Amen.

Prayer Requests

     Please pray that the storms forecast for my area on Friday will not be bad. 

     Continue to pray for an end to the coronavirus pandemic. India really needs our prayers right now. Pray that vaccines will reach those who need and want them. Pray that those who are sick will make a full and speedy recovery. 

     Please pray that people will care for the earth and take care to preserve endangered species. 

     Let us pray for peace. Pray for peace in Syria, Mali, Yemen, Afghanistan and Ethiopia. 

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us focus our prayers on Kosovo and Madagascar. Pray that many will hear about the love of Jesus. 

     Next week, Lord willing, we will finish chapter four of James. On Monday, I will post the verses. I will continue my Life Changers series midweek. May God bless you all. 

     

No comments: