Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Book Review

      With this midweek post, we are starting back with book reviews. Today's book is a book for younger readers entitled "Buster" written by Caleb Huett. Buster is a therapy dog that has come to live with a boy named Tonio. Tonio suffers from anxiety disorder, and his parents and counselors believe that a therapy dog like Buster will help him with his anxiety. 

      Buster really wants to help Tonio to have a better life. There is one problem. In order to really help his boy, Buster has to communicate with him. The dog rules state that a dog is never to talk to a human or reveal to a human the true intelligence of canines. Buster has already been in trouble for breaking this rule. Will he talk to Tonio in his efforts to help him? What will be the cost to Buster if he breaks the rule in order to do what he believes is the right thing to do?

      Buster is a well-written story that is sure to please readers who like good dog stories. I was especially drawn to the story as I have suffered from anxiety disorder for a long time. My dog Toby helped me when I was younger to deal with both anxiety and depression, so I know that a dog can really help those who need help with mental issues. I definitely recommend this book. The ending is written in such a way that there may be sequels to the book, and I look forward to reading those when and if they should become available. 

No comments: