Thursday, July 1, 2021

Life Changers -- Part 5

      Before I get into the life changers post, I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers the last few days. My car has been repaired. Praise God. The rain has finally stopped. My area did not get flooding. North of me there is flooding, so please pray for those folks. Thank you. 

     As most of you who read the blog know, I have worked as a freelance writer and poet for a long time now. I started when I graduated from college. The main reason that I even got into writing and poetry was due to reading the poetry of a few individuals. 

     I began my love of literature when I was in high school. Poetry was my favorite part of the literature classes. Over the course of a few years, I was able to read and enjoy the poetry of Juan Ramon Jimenez, Mary Oliver, Ted Kooser, Billy Collins, William Carlos Williams and many others. 

    I decided that I wanted to write poems. At first, I just did it because I loved poetry. After a time, I decided to submit some of my poems for publication consideration. I was so happy when some of my poems began to be accepted for publication in literary journals. 

    I've continued to submit poems throughout the years, and many have been published. I've posted some poems here on the blog, and I hope that you have enjoyed them. Recently, I completed a poetry book, and I hope that it will be published in the near future. 

    One writer in particular really influenced me to become a writer and that was James Herriot. I didn't discover his books until I was in college. When I did, I read them over and over again. He is my favorite author, and I believe that he is an outstanding writer who doesn't get enough credit for being a true writing craftsman. 

    Reading poetry, literature and James Herriot were life changers. I wanted to work as a writer and poet, and the Lord has allowed me to do it. I hope to continue writing poems, stories, articles and this blog for the foreseeable future. 

No comments: