Friday, December 3, 2021

Weekend Sermon -- John 3:16 and Philippians 2:6-8

      I want to say that I am thankful to the Lord that I have the opportunity to post the message this week. For the past several days, I've been ill. I thought that I might have Covid-19, but I tested negative. I've been on prednisone and antibiotics for several days, and I think that I am finally turning the corner with this illness. Thank you for your prayers in the this matter. 

     If you remember, we were in a brief series looking at some of the passages of Scripture that have had a major impact on my life. I have one more sermon that I would like to share regarding this, and then we will concentrate on Advent for the remainder of the year. After that, I have another sermon series planned. 

     John 3:16 is one of the more familiar verses in the Bible. It states, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

     This verse tells me how much God loves me. God is a holy God and a just God. For that reason, He had to punish sin. However, even though He is holy and just, He is also filled with love for all that He has made. This includes human beings and all that God has created throughout the entire universe. 

     God wanted to make sure that this world was brought back to the way that it was when He first created it. The universe was created good and free from sin and disorder. When people rebelled against God, sin entered into the universe. God intends to bring everything back to the Edenic state. He chose to bring about this restoration and bring redemption to humanity by sending His Son into the world to redeem this world from sin. 

     Jesus existed from all eternity as the Second Person of the Holy Trinity. John chapter 1 tells us that He was the Logos of God or the Word of God. The Word became flesh and dwelled among. He is the only begotten of the Father. 

     Philippians chapter 2 lets us know that Jesus humbled Himself and emptied Himself. He left His home in Heaven and took upon Himself humanity. He became the divine God-Man. He was born as a baby on Christmas Day. Jesus lived a holy and sinless life. Because He did not sin, He was able to be the spotless Lamb of God to take away the sins of the world. Jesus lived His life to show us how we are supposed to live in this world. 

     Jesus then became obedient unto death. He went to the cross where He bore our sins in His body. Those who place their faith and trust in what Jesus did for them on the cross will have eternal life. Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved the Bible says. 

      Because Jesus was willing to sacrifice Himself and humble Himself on the cross, God the Father has highly exalted Him. One day, Jesus will return to this earth in power and great glory. He will rule and reign in righteous. Everything in all of the created order throughout the universe will be returned to the Edenic state, and this will result in the consummation of the salvific process. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. 

      The Lord Jesus wants you to come to Him so that you might be redeemed and live with Him forever in the new world that He is going to usher in. You can come to Jesus today. He will forgive you of your sins, and He will dwell within your heart forever. 

     These verses for today mean so much to me. I know that I am greatly loved by the Lord. I know that I have eternal life in Christ. I look forward to the day when Jesus comes and all is made new. That gives me hope even in the darkest times. You can have that hope, too. Amen. 

Prayer Requests

     Please continue to pray that I will make a full recovery from the illness that I've been dealing with. 

     Continue to pray for peace in the many troubled areas of the world. Syria, Yemen, Ethiopia, Libya and Afghanistan all need our prayers for peace. 

     The coronavirus pandemic is still going, and now we have a new variant to be concerned about. Please pray for an end to the pandemic. Pray that vaccines will be made available to all, and pray that new treatments will become available. Pray that those who are sick will recover. 

     During this Christmas season, pray that people will not lose sight of the true meaning of the holiday. Pray that people will remember that Christmas is about the coming of the Messiah the Lord Jesus Christ. 

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those living in the nations of  Mongolia and Turkey. Pray that many will come to faith in Jesus Christ. 

     Next week, we will have a sermon for the Advent season. I will post the verses on Monday, and I hope to have a midweek post. May God bless you all. 

No comments: