Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review

Today I am reviewing a book for younger readers that I enjoyed.  The name of the book is "Mountain Dog" and it is written by Margarita Engle".  This book tells the story of a young boy who must go to live with his uncle when the boy's mother is sent to prison for operating a dog fighting ring.  The uncle has a mountain rescue dog named Gabe who helps the boy overcome his sadness and cope with his new situation.  What is most interesting about this novel, is that it is composed in verse.  The author does a fantastic job in this format, and I heartily recommend this book.

Another book written in a prose poem style that I like a great deal is "Platero and I" written by the Nobel Prize winning poet, Juan Ramon Jimenez.  Jimenez writes in a much more artistic style.  He was a master poet, and I recommend his work as well.

This last week, I've been reading some of the older animal books I've read many times in the past.  I don't know if I have recommended "My Dog Skip" by Willie Morris, but it is truly an outstanding book.  I enjoy this book every time that I read it.  While Willie Morris and Skip spent their years together before I came along, much of what Morris recounts in the book reminds me of growing up in my small, Kansas town.

Finally, I've been once again reading some of James Herriot's Dog Stories.  No matter how many times I read these, I like them just as much as I did when I read them the first time all those years ago.  For those of you who don't know, James Herriot is my favorite author.  Besides his books, the book that Herriot's son wrote about his father is also a book I recommend.  It is called "The Real James Herriot."

No comments: