Saturday, November 30, 2013

Weekend Sermon--John 10:22-30

     I am sorry that I couldn't post the Weekend Sermon until late today.  The library was closed on Friday, and this morning, their Internet was down.  I have had to go to the next town over to use the Internet at their library.
     I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.  I actually had my Thanksgiving dinner a week early when my brother and his son took me out to dinner.  I didn't attempt to get out and do any shopping on Friday.  From what I saw happening on television, I am glad I stayed home. 
     Please continue to pray about the situation in Syria.  There is so much suffering among children that is going on in that country.  Pray that God in His mercy will intervene.
     Also, please continue to pray for me.  I am facing some real difficulties.  I need to sell my home fairly quickly, and I need to sell some other items that I have for sale.  I also need to find a good job this week, or I am going to be in a real bad situation.  Thank you for your continued prayers.
     In last week's message, we studied the reaction to Peter's sermon.  Peter and John were arrested, but they refused to stop preaching in the name of Jesus.  They were faithful witnesses for their Lord.
     In today's message, I would like to focus on the words of Jesus found in John 10:22-30.  In verse 22, we find Jesus in Solomon's Portico in the Temple during the Feast of the Dedication.  This is another term for the celebration of Hanukkah. 
     We often forget the fact that Jesus was a Jew.  He celebrated the Sabbath and the Jewish holy days.  Because of this, it has been by practice to do this as well.
     Hanukkah celebrates the fact that the Temple was cleansed from its defilement at the hands of Antiochus.  Antiochus Epiphanes was a tyrant from the Seleucid Empire that controlled Israel.  He wanted to Hellenize the Jewish people and lead them away from the worship of the true and living God.  Antiochus sacrificed a pig in the Temple and set up an idol of Zeus.  This led to the Maccabean revolt and the cleansing and dedication of the Temple.  This evil ruler and what he did are foretold in the book of Daniel in chapter 11.  This fulfilled prophecy in Daniel is a great example of the validity and trustworthiness of the Bible.
     While Jesus was in the Temple, He was surrounded by a crowd who wanted to know if He was really the Messiah.  Jesus answered in verse 25 by saying, " I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me."
     Jesus had performed tremendous miracles.  He had opened blind eyes and made the lame to walk.  He had cast out unclean spirits, and fed the 5,000.  However, in spite of all of this, most of the people did not believe in Him.
     Jesus said in verse 26 that the reason that they did not believe is that they were not of His sheep.  Jesus said that His sheep hear His voice, and they follow Him.  Jesus gives them eternal life.
     One way that we can know if we have a true possession of faith and not just an empty profession of faith is by our willingness to follow the voice of Jesus.  The true believer in Jesus will follow the commandments and teachings of the Lord.  The true follower of Jesus will not be distracted by the things of this world.  His eyes will be firmly fixed on Jesus who is the author and perfector of our faith.  He will do the will and work of Jesus in the world.
     Those who follow Jesus will have eternal life.  During the holiday season, I think a lot about my Mom and Dad.  I especially missed them on Thanksgiving this year.  But I know that they are not just dead and gone.  Because Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life, they are with Jesus in Heaven right now.
     Jesus said the once we belong to Him, once we are one of His sheep, nothing can take us away from Him.  The Father has given the sheep to Jesus who is the Great Shepherd of the sheep.  No one can take them away from the Father.
     I find extraordinary comfort in this.  I like to imagine it this way.  I am in the palm of Jesus' hand with His fingers wrapped around me.  Around Jesus' hand is wrapped the hand of the Father.  Nothing can get through there and get me away from the Father and the Son.  On top of that, the Bible says that we are sealed by the Holy Spirit.  No matter what happens in life, we are safe with Jesus.  We will be with Him for all of eternity.
     In verse 30, Jesus makes a tremendous statement.  He says, "I and my Father are One."  These words were written above the altar in the church my Grandpa attended.  It is one of the clearest statements of the deity of Jesus in the Bible.  Jesus is the God/man.  We can put our trust in Him for our redemption and our eternal well being.
     I know that this is the Advent season, but I feel that the Lord is leading me to preach two other message before I preach about Christmas.  On Wednesday, I will post a book review.  May God bless you.  Amen 
    

No comments: