Friday, November 1, 2013

Weekend Sermon

      I thank the Lord that it is once again time for the Weekend Sermon.  I hope that everyone had a very good week.
      This was a very busy week for me with highs and lows.  Those who read the blog know that on Tuesday I went to an author presentation that I enjoyed very much.  I am thankful that I got to go to this as I'd been looking forward to it for a long time.  I am also thankful that all of the bad weather this week didn't cause any problems with my house's foundation that is not so good.
      I still haven't been able to sell the things that I need to sell in order to get things back on track financially.  Please continue to pray that the Lord will work in this area of my life so that I can get back on track once again.  I am really believing that the Lord is going to do something very positive in this regard in the coming days.
      Last week, we finished our series on the book of Revelation by looking at Revelation chapters 21 and 22.  One day, at the end of the Millennial reign of Christ, the Lord is going to make a new Heaven and a new earth.  All of the old will pass away and every thing will be knew.  There will be no more crying, pain or death.  I know that I am looking forward to that day.  Only those who have put their faith and trust in the finished work of Jesus will be able to be part of the New Jerusalem that is coming down out of Heaven.
     Today, I am not going to start a new series.  For the next couple of weeks, I will just write some general sermons.  Soon, we will be in the Advent season celebrating the Incarnation of Jesus Christ.  After the Advent season, I intend to start a new series.  As I mentioned last week, I am leaning towards going through the book of I Peter.  However, I may do a series on the presentation of the majesty of Christ as recorded in the book of Hebrews.  I will see how the Lord leads.
     For are message today, I would like to talk about the features that distinguished the church right after the day of Pentecost.  After Jesus rose from the dead, He was on this earth for a period of 40 days and was seen by many witnesses.  At the end of this time, Jesus ascended into Heaven in the sight of His apostles.  Before He left this earth, Jesus told His disciples to tarry in Jerusalem until the power of the Holy Spirit came upon them.
     Ten days after Jesus ascended into Heaven, the apostles, along with several other followers of  Jesus,  were gathered in the Upper Room.  The Holy Spirit filled them, and they began to speak in other tongues. 
      Peter then preached a sermon explaining who Jesus was and what He had done. Peter urged his listeners to receive Jesus and be baptized.  Three thousand souls were added to the kingdom on that day.
     Acts 2:42-47 gives an account of the practices of these early believers that numbered 120 plus the 3,000 born again on the day of Pentecost.  The church of today would do well to imitate the spiritual practices of these first followers of the risen Lord.
     The first thing that these early Christians did was remain steadfast in the apostle's doctrine.  This is so important today that I can't emphasize it enough.  There has been a great departure from the apostle's doctrine.  Much of what is taught in church today is not the teaching of the New Testament Church.  The church will only be strong and influence the world when it follows what the Bible has to say.  So much evangelical teaching today is focused on prosperity.  This doctrine is not taught in the Scripture.  Many other churches deny the orthodox doctrines of the faith such as the full divinity of Jesus, the bodily resurrection and the literal Second Coming.  We must get back to the accurate teaching of Scripture.
     The early church also continued in fellowship and breaking of bread.  These are actually two different things.  First of all, the early believers came together to encourage one another and to help one another.  They joined together in worship and in conducting the evangelistic and social ministry of the church.  Breaking of bread refers to the celebration of communion or the Eucharist.  
     Verse 42 also says that the early Christians continued in prayer.  They were a praying people.  I believe that more time should be devoted in most church services to prayer.  All believers should be engaged in daily prayer.  I urge you to try to pray at least once every day.  Tell the Lord all of your concerns, and ask Him to intervene in this world's needs.
     Jesus spoke often about prayer.  Several months ago, I did a series of messages on this blog about Jesus' teachings on prayer.  Please reference these if you feel that these teachings would be of benefit to you.
     Verse 44 says that the early believers had all things is common.  They sold there possessions and divided their resources so that there was no need among them.  This certainly doesn't sound like any church I've ever been to.  But this is the way it should be today.  Those of us in the body of Christ should be meeting each others needs.
     Most churches have people as members who are facing a really hard time.  It is the responsibility of the family of God to help our brothers and sisters.  In a congregation of any size, someone who needs  help with food, clothing, medical expenses, transportation, heating bills, etc. shouldn't have to go to the government for help.  Christians should help each other out without making people feel humiliation.  We shouldn't be concerned about this world's riches.
     I truly believe that the teaching of the New Testament is that the church should seek equality among its members.  It is not following a New Testament pattern when there are extremes of wealth and poverty within the Christian community. 
     Let me add this so there is no misunderstanding.  I am in no way opposed to government aid programs for the poor, sick and elderly.  I actually think that there should be more of them. I find it shameful that many who claim to be Christians are constantly wanting to cut money for food stamps, social security and help for the disabled.  What I am saying is that most churches could and should do more to help fellow Christians.
     In verse 47, it says that the early Christians praised God daily.  We have so much to praise God for.  We have been redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus.  We have eternal life.  God has blessed us with a beautiful world.  We should praise God for who He is and for all that He has done for us.
    Finally, in the early church days, the Lord was adding to the church daily those who were being saved.  Many churches I know go for many months without seeing a convert.  These early Christians were spreading the faith.  They were obeying the Great Commission and sharing the love of Jesus.  If all of us who are followers of Jesus would do this today, we would see more people turning their lives over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. 
     If you are reading this message, and you haven't turned to Jesus is repentance and faith, please do so today.  Believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again.  Ask Him to forgive you, and invite Him into your life as Savior and Lord.
     Next Wednesday, I will post another book review.  I hope to see you next Friday for another Weekend Sermon.  May God bless you.  Amen.

No comments: