Sunday, October 5, 2014

Some Thoughts on a Sunday Afternoon

    I usually don't put anything on the blog on Sunday, but this has been an unusual past few days, and there are some things that I want to share.   As many of you know, I faced a very difficult financial time during the great recession here in the United States.  I was without a well paying job for a very long time.  Thankfully, with your prayer support, I found a job about eight months ago.  Everything was starting to look up on the financial front until last week.
    Last week I was informed that those who hold my position are going to be eliminated from the workforce at my company.  We will have to reapply for a new position, even though it is at the same location doing the same thing.  No one is guaranteed of getting their old jobs back.
    This news left me very depressed.  It is part of the reason I've not been posting much new material.  Faced with the thought of going back to the way things were before was hard to deal with.
     This morning, things became a little bit brighter.  A verse of Scripture popped into my mind that helped to put things into perspective.  Isaiah 26:3 states, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee."
     At this time, I must trust the Lord to see me through.  He has seen me through to this point.  I must believe that He will bring me through this trying time as well.
     As of today, I have pretty much decided to seek employment with a different company.  I don't really want to work for a place that treats their employees that way we're being treated now.  I may take the new test and reapply, but I'm leaning against it. 
     Please pray for me as I once again search for a job.  Thankfully, this time, there seem to be a lot more openings to apply for.  Also, I will qualify for unemployment benefits if I don't find another job before this one goes away.
    Another thing I can be thankful for is that there is more writing work available as the economy is improving.  If I had to, I could take every type of writing job I could find and make it through living on the bare minimum.  Hopefully, it won't come to that.
    Thinking about the verse in Isaiah has given me a real sense of peace today.  I don't feel worried and torn up inside like I did.  Jesus is with me.  I know that He is.  I believe that Jesus will provide for me and show me the way.
    Once again, I would ask you to pray for me.
    Now, enough about me.  There are a lot of people who are a lot worse off than I am.  For the past few weeks, I've asked you to pray about the situation with the Ebola virus.  Keep praying that this problem will come to an end.  Pray for healing for all those afflicted by this terrible disease.  Also, pray for peace in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and Ukraine. 
    Next week, I will try to post some more original content for the Weekend Sermon.  I hope that everyone has a good week.

No comments: