Friday, October 31, 2014

Weekend Sermon-- Luke 18:9-14

     Today, I am very happy to be able to post another edition of the Weekend Sermon.  As I have said on previous occasions, writing these messages in the best part of my week.  I hope that everyone has had a very good week.
     This was an interesting week, to say the least.  Many of you have been praying about my work situation.  My current job is ending in the middle of November.  I really enjoyed this job, and I am sorry to be leaving it.  However, the Lord has blessed me by allowing me to get another job that is starting just as my current job is ending.  I am still looking for more work, so please continue to pray about this situation.
     Please continue to be in prayer regarding the Ebola situation.   Let us thank the Lord that several of those who were sick with this disease here in the United States have recovered.  Let us also pray for peace in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and Syria.
     Today, I would like to discuss one of my favorite teachings of Jesus.  It is the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector.  In this parable, Jesus said that two men went into the temple for prayer.  One of the men who was a Pharisee began to pray by thanking God that he wasn't a terrible sinner like the adulterers, extortioners and the tax collectors.  The Pharisee then went on in his prayer to relate all of his good qualities to the Lord.  The Pharisee made sure to remind God that he fasted regularly and tithed his income.
     The tax collector did not pray in this fashion.  He wouldn't even lift his eyes to Heaven.  Instead, he said, "God be merciful to me a sinner."
     Jesus said that the tax collector went back to his home justified instead of the Pharisee.  Jesus also said, "Every one that exalteth himself shall be abased, and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."
     So, what does this interesting parable have to teach us today.
     First of all, this parable teaches me about the dangers of self-righteousness.  When a person serves the Lord for a period of years, that person can think more highly of himself than he should think.  In the process of trying to live a righteous and holy life, the Christian can then look at others who are living an unrighteous life and then feel as if he is superior in some way to other people.  In other words, we think that we are better than these sinners because we are so holy and close to God.  We read the Bible every day, we pray and we go to church every Sunday.  We are so much better than these other folks. 
     This in reality demonstrates that when we think this way that we are trying to justify ourselves by our works.  We in essence think that our good works and righteous living make us just in the eyes of the Lord.  Nothing could be farther from the church.  No one is justified by works.  We are justified by faith.
     Also, Christians shouldn't look down on anyone.  This displays legalistic thinking in the fashion of the Pharisees of Jesus' day.  We should have the attitude of there but for the grace of God go I.  We need to realize that we are only made right in the eyes of the Lord by His grace.
     This is an area that I often struggle with.  I get caught up in the attitude that I deserve good things from the Lord because of my good works.  I have the attitude that since I am trying to live a righteous life, the Lord should bless me, and only good things should happen.
     This is a wrong way of thinking on my part, and when it comes into my life, I need to repent and reorient my attitude.
     No one deserves anything from the Lord.  Every thing that we have received is a gift from God. 
     Our attitude should be that expressed by the tax collector.  He knew that no good thing dwelled within him.  He recognized the fact that he was a sinner and needed the forgiveness and grace of the Lord.  He didn't try to justify himself in his own eyes.  He simply asked for the mercy of the Lord.
     My attitude, our attitude, should be one of relying wholly on Jesus for all that we receive.  We should not have an attitude of entitlement.  We should have an attitude of gratitude. 
     What I have to realize is that I don't deserve anything.  I am a sinner.  Without Jesus in my life, I am nothing.  Everything in my life that is good comes from the Lord Jesus.  I can't earn His favor.  He gives me His grace.  He freely bestows His love upon us.
     We need to thankfully receive the mercy and forgiveness of the Lord, and the blessings that he gives us each day in our lives.
     Next week, I will stive to be more regular in posting on the blog.  I plan to post the verse on Monday and a review on Wednesday.  The sermon will appear on either Friday or Saturday.  May God bless you.  Amen.
    

No comments: