Sunday, November 2, 2014

Thoughts On A Sunday Afternoon

     It's a windy Sunday afternoon where I live.  It is a nice day.  This morning, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about what the world considers success and what the Lord considers success.  In the eyes of this world, a successful person is someone who makes a lot of money, has a good career or is famous.  In general, the world does not take into account what the Lord considers success.
     In this world's thinking, many of the great characters of Scripture would be considered unsuccessful.  Most of the Old Testament prophets had little money.  They were despised and rejected by this world.  God's Word says that this world was not worthy of them.
     Take into consideration Lazarus who I wrote about last week.  He was homeless and sick.  He ended up in life being licked by street dogs.  However, he went to Heaven, and he is being rewarded eternally for his faithfulness to the Lord.  He was considered a success in the eyes of Jesus.
      Let's look at the example of Jesus Himself.  Jesus certainly wasn't wealthy.  When the religious leaders asked Him about paying taxes to Caesar,  Jesus had to ask for a coin.  He didn't have one of His own.  Something similar happened when Jesus and Peter had to pay the temple tax.  In order to get the tax money, Peter went fishing and the fish he pulled out of the lake had a coin in its mouth that was just enough to pay the tax for Peter and Jesus.
     Jesus didn't have a big house.  Jesus said, "Foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."
     Jesus was rejected by most in this world, and He was crucified.  The people said, "Crucify him.  We will not have this man to rule over us."
     However, that wasn't the end of the story.  The Father raised Jesus from the dead.  Jesus was the ultimate success.  He sealed our redemption.  He is the Risen King of King and Lord of Lords.  One day, He will rule and reign in righteousness upon this earth, and His kingdom will have no end.
     Jesus said while He was ministering on earth, "That which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God,"(Luke 16:15).  What God considers success and what people consider success are often very different things.
     In my life, I haven't been what many would consider to be highly successful.  I had some money, but I lost most of it during the great recession.  I am a writer, and I love writing, but I am far from famous.  I just have a regular old job.  Things like this used to bother me, but lately, I haven't been as worried about all of this.  What I try to concern myself with is whether or not my life is pleasing to God.  Am I building up treasure in Heaven where moth and rust don't corrupt and where thieves do not break in and steal.  My prayer is that I am considered a success in the eyes of Jesus.  That is what really matters.
     I think being a success in the eyes of Jesus means that you are someone who strives to obey Jesus' commandments and teachings no matter the consequences.  Being a success in the eyes of Jesus means following Jesus wherever He might lead.
     One preacher I heard a few days ago said it very well.  He said that some people get an A on earth but they have an F in Heaven.  It's better to have an F on earth and an A in Heaven.  Pleasing the Lord Jesus is what life is really all about.  May God bless you.

No comments: