Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thoughts On A Sunday Afternoon -- Thanksgiving

     I am here again in the library on a Sunday afternoon, and I have some things that I would like to share.  This Thursday is Thanksgiving Day here in the United States.  It has always been my favorite holiday.  It is a time of food, fun and family.  Today, I would just like to write about what my family used to do on Thanksgiving, and then write a little bit about what I have to be thankful for this year.
     One of the best parts of Thanksgiving for me was the great meals that my Mom used to fix.  She was the best cook around, as far as I was concerned.  We never had to worry about a dried out turkey when Mom was cooking.  She fixed great turkeys.  My Mom's stuffing was tremendously good, and she also fixed us mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberries, green beans and rolls.  She also made us a couple of pumpkin pies.  All of this food was delicious.
     On Thanksgiving afternoon my Mom, Dad, Toby and I would have a great feast.  My Dad and I would eat so much we couldn't hold any more.  Toby always got a Thanksgiving feast too.  He loved turkey, so my Mom and I always made sure he received his portion.  He was kind of different from many dogs.  He liked green beans about as well as anything, so Mom gave him some green beans too.  He would eat those before he ate the turkey.  Dad always made sure Toby got a biscuit or two.
     After the meal, we would watch the football games and try to sleep off the big meal.  We always offered to help Mom with the cleaning up, but she would never accept any help.
     Usually on Thanksgiving it was just the immediate family, but my Grandma did get to spend three or four Thanksgivings with us.  She was the ultimate pie maker.  My Mom was a great cook, but Grandma made the best pies.  One Thanksgiving she made pumpkin, apple and lemon meringue pies.  They were great.
     When my Mom had her stroke, Thanksgivings weren't the big affair they had been.  Cooking was now up to me.  I couldn't put out the feast like my Mom did, but I always tried to keep the family going while I took care of the folks.  I would usually just fix a small turkey breast, a little stove top stuffing, some mashed potatoes and some green beans.  It was nice that we were all still together.
     The last few Thanksgivings I've spent with my half-brother and his family.  He usually takes us out to a restaurant.
     This Thanksgiving, I'm not sure what I am going to do.  I hope that everyone who reads this blog has a very happy Thanksgiving Day with family and friends.

     Now, this Thanksgiving I have a lot to be thankful for.  First of all, I am thankful to the Lord Jesus for being my Lord and Savior.  Without Him, my life would be absolutely meaningless.  I want to thank Jesus for being with me every step of the way this year.  He is my rock and my salvation.
I am also thankful for this blog and for those of you who read it.  I am so happy each week when I view the blog statistics and see that people from many nations are reading what I write here.  It is very humbling.
     When I started this blog, it was my hope that the Lord would use it in some way to reach people with the message of His love.  I pray that it has done this in your life.
     I am also thankful for my jobs that the Lord has provided.  I am still looking for more work, but the Lord has provided me with an income.
     I also would like to express my thanks for being able to be a writer.  The Lord has blessed my writing, and I am getting things published again.  Writing is my great joy, and I am glad that the Lord Jesus has allowed me to use writing to serve Him in some way.
    I am thankful for my friend who lives across the street.  We have been friends for many years, and he has helped me in innumerable ways this year.  May God's blessings be upon him and his family.
    Finally, I want to thank the Lord Jesus for the time I had on this earth with my Mom, Dad and Toby.  We had many wonderful years together.  I miss them every day, but I know that they are safe with Jesus in Heaven right now.  I am thankful that because Jesus is the Resurrection and Life, one day we will all be reunited again.

Once again, Happy Thanksgiving, and may God bless you.

No comments: