Thursday, December 11, 2014

Book Recommendation

     I am sorry that I was not able to post the review yesterday.  I had to take my car into the mechanic, and I was running very late.  I am here today, so here goes.
     The book that I would like to recommend today is entitled "War Dogs" written by Rebecca Frankel.  Frankel writes a weekly blog entitled "War Dog of the Week" for Foreign Policy Online.  In this new book, Ms. Frankel provides readers with a wealth of information about the history of war dogs in the United States military.  Much of the book deals with how dogs are currently being used in Iraq and Afghanistan to detect IEDs and other types of explosives.  By using dogs in these areas of conflict, countless lives have been saved.
     One of the most interesting topics in the book is about whether or not dogs have the capacity to love.  Surprisingly, many of the handlers told Ms. Frankel that they didn't believe that their dogs loved them.  They described the relationship more as a partnership.  The reader will see, however, the handler's actions with their dogs, and vice versa, demonstrates a loving relationship.
     I found this book to be very well-written and interesting as are the writer's weekly columns for Foreign Policy.

No comments: