Saturday, December 20, 2014

Weekend Sermon-- Christmas

     Hello, and welcome again to another edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I can't believe that it is almost Christmas already.  Sometimes, it seems as if the days just fly by.  I hope that all of you are having a wonderful holiday season.
     This week, my friend's wife received a job offer.  This is an answer to prayer.  Thanks be to God.  I am still working on my writing.  I received another writing job this week, and I am still working at my other job, although I don't like it very well at all.  Please pray that I can find a good job while I am in the process of getting my house and possessions sold.  I am on target to start a bigger ministry if I can get things sold off and the back debt paid.  It's hard, but I am trying.
     In your prayer time this week, continue to pray about the Ebola situation in Africa.  In the last report I heard from Doctor's Without Borders, the rate of disease is much less in Liberia, but things still look bleak in Sierra Leone.  Let us pray for peace this week in Syria, Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq.
     During the last few weeks, we have been in a series of messages on some of the kings of Israel and Judah in the Bible.  For the next two weeks, we will be taking a break from this series.
     Today, I would like to talk about Christmas.  Specifically, I would like to just list some of those who were around the manger on that first Christmas night and just give you a few thoughts that I have on each of them.

Mary
     Mary was the most blessed woman who has every lived.  She was chosen by God to be the mother of His Son.  What a privilege and responsibility.  In all likelihood, Mary was a very young woman when she gave birth to Jesus.  She would have faced ridicule from those around her.  I am sure that she was castigated for being pregnant before she and Joseph were married.  In spite of this, Mary accepted the duty and privilege of being the mother of the Messiah.  When she realized that she would give birth to the Messiah, Mary spoke one of the great passages recorded in all of Scripture.  It is known as the Magnificat and is recorded in Luke 1:46-55.

Here it is in its entirety:

     "My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.  For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden:  for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.  For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.   And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.  He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.  He hast put down the mighty for their seats, and exalted them of low degree.  He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.  He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; as he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and his seed forever."

     God didn't choose rich and powerful people to raise the Lord Jesus.  He chose peasant people who were humble and righteous.  Humanity looks on outward appearance.  God looks on the heart.

Joseph
     Sometimes, I think that Joseph is overlooked in the whole Christmas story.  He was expecting to get married, have a family and live an ordinary and peaceful life.  Instead, he finds out that his fiance is pregnant, and the child she is carrying is the Son of God.  The Bible says that Joseph was a righteous man.  He was also an obedient man.  He willingly and without question did everything that God asked him to do.  He took good care of Mary, Jesus and the rest of his family.  To me, he is the example of a righteous man who followed God in spite of what it may have cost him in regard to his expectations.

Shepherds
     These are some interesting characters.  Here they are in the fields when the host of Heaven appear giving them the announcement of the birth of Jesus.  They were astonished and filled with great joy at the same time.  What is so significant about the shepherds is the fact that they were the ones with whom God first chose to share the good news of the birth of His Son.  In that day, shepherds were viewed as outcasts and were looked down upon.  People thought that they smelled bad, and most people in polite society didn't want to have anything to do with them.  That's not how God felt.  The Lord is no respecter of persons.  He loves everyone.  When Jesus entered His public ministry, He would have a care and concern for those that society and the religious establishment looked down upon.  Jesus associated with tax collectors, sinners, lepers and the sick.

The Animals
     Since Jesus was born in a stable and laid in a manger, it stands to reason that there were animals present at the first Christmas.  I like to think that the animals in the stable rejoiced at the birth of Jesus.  Because Jesus had come into the world, their misery would one day be over too.  The Bible says that all of creation groans in travail waiting for the day when deliverance comes.  That will be the day when Jesus comes in His Second Advent.

Jesus
     Christmas is about the Incarnation of the Second Person of the Holy Trinity.  The Son became a man so that He might bear the sins of the world and provide redemption and reconciliation for humanity and the entire cosmos.  When I think about the Second Person of the Holy Trinity coming as a helpless infant, it truly overwhelms my mind.  What a miracle!  What humility.  What love.  Just to think that Jesus would be willing to do this for me is beyond my comprehension.  Jesus came as baby.  He would go on to live a perfect, holy and sinless life.  He would teach and provide us with a perfect example.  Jesus would go to the cross and take upon Himself the sins of the world.  Then, He would rise again on the third day conquering death, hell and the grave.  We talk on Christmas of the first Advent.  Jesus came into the world to bring a message of love and hope.  One day, and I hope that it is very soon, Jesus Christ will come again.  This time, He will not come as a baby in a manger. When Jesus Christ the Messiah comes again, He will come in power and great glory.  When Jesus came the first time, His coming was attended by Mary, Joseph, shepherds and farm animals.  When Jesus Christ comes again, all of the hosts of Heaven will come with Him.  Every eye will see Him and every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

     During this Christmas season, I urge you to reflect upon your personal relationship with Jesus.  Do you know Him as Savior and Lord?  Have you repented of your sins?  Have you believed in your heart that Jesus died for you and rose again?  Have you invited Jesus to be the Lord of your life?  If not, you can do so today.  Pray and ask for forgiveness.  Ask Jesus to save you and be your Lord.  Wouldn't that be a great birthday present to give to the one who humbled Himself and became obedient unto death so that the world might be redeemed?

    Next week, I will post the verse on Monday.  I will try to post a review on Wednesday, but I am not sure about the library hours on Christmas Eve.  The Weekend Sermon will appear next Saturday.  May all of you have a Merry Christmas.  Amen.


No comments: