Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Book Recommendations -- Veterinarian and Music Books

     Last week, I mentioned that I would tell you about another series of veterinarian stories that I liked.  Veterinarian Nick Trout has written two books that tell about his work as a veterinarian.  The books are called "Tell Me Where It Hurts" and "Love is the Best Medicine".  Dr. Trout is a veterinary surgeon who works at one of the most prestigious veterinary medical centers in the United States.  His stories are all very interesting and well worth reading.
     In addition to these two books, Dr. Trout has written some fictional books about a small town veterinarian, and he has written a book entitled "Ever By My Side" about the animals that have been important in his life.
     There are two other books that I would like to recommend to you today.  I am a big fan of classical music and jazz.  I find it very interesting to read about the lives of the great classical music composers and jazz players.  There are two books that I have come across that have a great deal of interesting biographical information for those who enjoy classical music and jazz.
    "The Lives of the Great Composers" written by Harold Schonberg devotes a chapter each to the great classical music composers.  Readers will learn excellent information about Bach, Beethoven, Dvorak, and a host of other composers.  This book is well worth reading, and I have enjoyed it through the years.
     For those who like jazz, "Jazz Portraits" written by Len Lyons gives brief biographies of the major jazz artists.  Of particular interest to me are profiles of my favorites in jazz artists including Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Miles Davis and Horace Silver.  I originally came across this book as it was used as a textbook in a college music class.  My trumpet teacher also used this book in the classes he taught at the local community college.

   
   

No comments: