Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Book Review -- "The Animals In My Life"

    Today I am reviewing a book entitled "The Animals In My Life" written by a veterinarian named Grant Kendall.  Dr. Kendall is primarily an equine vet, but many of the stories in this book and its sequel contain stories about a variety of different animals.  In this book, Dr. Kendall comes across as a compassionate doctor who seeks the best for his patients.
     The book is well-written with often humorous stories that are easy to read.  This book and its sequel, "More Animals in My Life" are highly recommended.
     For those who like to read stories about the work of veterinarians, I give my highest recommendation to the series of books written by James Herriot.  He is just a superb writer.  I highly recommend the "All Creatures Great and Small" TV series as well.
    The books by Alexander Cameron are also very good, and they have stories about his time as a vet and his time serving as a Church of Scotland pastor.  Both aspects are quite interesting.  I actually think that the stories he tells about being a pastor are the more interesting.
    Louis Camuti has written a good book about being a cat veterinarian.  There are are a couple of other good veterinary story books I have at the house, but I can't think of the names right now.  I will find out, and I will tell you about them next week.
    I also mentioned that I would be reading some more in the Mrs. Murphy series by Rita Mae Brown and report back.  I recently finished a couple of more titles in this twenty book and counting series.  The stories are interesting.  The only issue I have with the books is that the author often creates set piece conversations for the characters that seem to exist only to promote the author's own political beliefs.  Her beliefs run toward the libertarian viewpoint with which I disagree.  That's fine with me.  An author has the right to write how they wish.  And I don't mind reading ideas I don't agree with.  It just seems like this doesn't always advance the plot too much.
     I have decided to re-read all of the Joe Grey series written by Shirley Rousseau Murphy.  I love these books.  As I finish one, I will report here what I enjoy about each book in the series.
     Next week I will share more of the books I've read with you.  Have a good day.

No comments: