Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Book Review -- History Books -- Wales

     After I received my degree in theology, I went back to school and received a history degree.  I have always loved history, and I enjoy reading history books.   After Toby came to live with me, I became interested in the history of Wales.  Over the course of several years, I have read several good books about Welsh history.  In today's post, I will tell you about a few of the very best that I've read.

    "A History of Wales" written by John Davies is my favorite Welsh history book.  This volume contains a general overview of Welsh history from ancient times to the present.  It is easy to read and understand, and I highly recommend it for those starting out in the study of the history of the land of Wales.

     "Medieval Wales" by David Walker is a textbook that deals with Wales in the Middle Ages.  This is the period of Welsh history I find most interesting, and this volume is a good overview of Wales during the time of the independent kingdoms.

     "Modern Wales: A Concise History" by Gareth Elwyn Jones provides good information about the development of Wales in the twentieth century.  It is highly readable and in depth on its subject matter.

    "The Revolt of Owain Glyn Dwr" by R.R Davies is a biography of the man who attempted to throw off English domination and once again make Wales a free nation.  As readers will discover, Glyn Dwr had some success, but in the end, England triumphs.  The author looks into the reasons why.

     These are just a few of the many excellent books about Welsh history that are currently available.  Welsh history is an extremely interesting subject.  For those brave enough to try, I recommend studying the Welsh language as well.  I studied German in school and I took German and Spanish in college.  I thought that I could pick up Welsh fairly quickly.  I was wrong.  It is a hard but interesting language.

No comments: