Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Book Review -- Byzantine History

     As some of you may know, I have a degree in history.  It was my favorite subject in high school as well.  Although I am not employed in the field, I still enjoy reading history books.  One of the areas of history that I am particularly interested in is Byzantine history.  In today's post, I would like to recommend a few of the books on the subject that I have enjoyed.

     For those who are just starting out in the study of Byzantine history, the trilogy on Byzantium written by John Julius Norwich is a good place to begin.  These three volumes are well-written, and they cover the whole range of Byzantine history from the time of Constantine to the final collapse of Constantinople.

     The three books in this series are "Byzantium: The Early Centuries," "Byzantium: The Apogee," and "Byzantium: The Decline and Fall."  By the way, this author has also written excellent histories of Venice and Sicily.

     There are two books that I have enjoyed written about empresses of the Byzantine Empire.  "Women in Purple" by Judith Herrin and "Theodora:Empress of Byzantium" by Paolo Cesarreti  are two well-written books.

     For those seeking a primary source from the period, Anna Comnena the daughter of Emperor Alexius wrote a book about her father called the "Alexiad".  This is a very interesting account of life in the Empire.

     One other book that I would like to mention is "Fourteen Byzantine Rulers" written by Michael Psellus.

     These are just a few of the many books on this subject.  If you are like me, once you begin the study of Byzantium, you will want to know more and more.

   


No comments: