Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Book Review -- Time Cat

     Working as a writer for the past twenty years, the thought has often entered my mind to try to write a children's or young adult book. With this in mind, I frequently read well-known young adult and children's authors to get a feel for that type of writing.  I believe that one of the best ways a person can learn to be a good writer is to read the work of good writers.  This has been extremely important for my writing career.
       There are many fine writers in these areas of writing, but I think that my favorite is Lloyd Alexander.  If I ever do write a children's or young adult book, it would be greatly influenced by Alexander's writing.
    Probably my favorite book that he has written is "Time Cat."  This is a book about a young boy whose cat decides to speak to him one day.  Gareth the cat and the boy then embark on a series of historical adventures because it turns out that Gareth is a time travelling cat.
    My favorite adventure the two friends embark on is when they travel back in time and meet St Patrick during the time Patrick was in Ireland before his missionary days.
    "Time Cat" is well-written, and I am sure that most all young people would enjoy reading this book.  Lloyd Alexander's books "The Town Cats" and "The Cat Who Wished To Be a Man" are also good.
    By the way, two other authors whose works for young people I enjoy are Gary Paulsen and Daniel Pinkwater.
   

No comments: