Friday, November 6, 2015

Weekend Sermon -- John 11:1-44

     Welcome to the Weekend Sermon.  It is good to be with you all again this week to post the sermon.  I hope that everyone is doing well today.
     I am thankful to the Lord that we missed out on the bad storms last night.  It is unusual in my area to get severe weather in November, but there were warnings all around me last night.  Thank the Lord, everyone was safe.
     I am currently working on some new ideas for the blog starting next year,  Please pray that the Lord will show me what He wants me to teach on the blog in the weeks and months to come.
     In prayer this week, let us continue to pray for those who are picking up the pieces after the earthquakes and hurricanes in various places.  Let us also continue to pray for peace in this violent and troubled world.  Pray for an end to terrorism and violence in the streets.  Also, let us continue to pray for peace in Syria and South Sudan.
     We have been praying for nations around the world were there are not many Christians as a percentage of the population.  This week remember India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia in prayer.
     For the past few weeks, we have been studying the way the divinity of Jesus is presented in the Gospel of John.  We looked at the "I Am" statements of Jesus, and now we are looking at the sign miracles in John.  Today we examine the resurrection of Lazarus.
     Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha were among Jesus' best friends while He was here on this earth.  Jesus often ate at their home in the city of Bethany.
     One day, word came to Jesus that Lazarus was very sick.  Jesus could have gone immediately and healed his friend.  However, Jesus waited until Lazarus had been dead for four days before He came to Mary and Martha.  They were still in great grief, and they told Jesus that if He had been there, their brother would not have died.
     Jesus felt great sorrow at the death of His friend, and He wept.  Jesus then told them to role away the stone from Lazarus' grave,  Jesus spoke with the Father, and then He called out, "Lazarus, come forth!"  To everyone's amazement, Lazarus came out of the grave still wrapped in the grave clothes.  Jesus commanded them to "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."
     This is one of my favorite passages in all of the Bible.  It contains my favorite verse in all of Scripture where Jesus declares Himself to be the resurrection and the life.  Let us explore what we can learn from this passage, and then let us examine how this passage reveals the divine nature of Jesus.
     One thing that really strikes me in this passage is that it not only reveals the divinity of Jesus Christ, it also reveals that Jesus was truly human as well.  While Jesus was on this earth, He had real friendships with people.  We clearly see in this passage that Jesus cared deeply for Lazarus and his sisters.  Jesus also had three close friends among His disciples.  Jesus three closest disciples were Peter, James and John.  I think it is fairly clear from Scripture that John was Jesus' closest friend.  Jesus entrusted the care of His mother to His friend John.
     One of the aspects of our relationship with Jesus that is so important to me is the fact that Jesus has invited us to be His friends.  Jesus said in John 15:15, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business.  Instead, I have called you friends."
     This is a tremendous comfort to me to know that Jesus is my friend.  He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.  As my friend, I can go to Jesus with all of my cares and concerns.  He listens to me and provides me with the awareness of His presence that helps me to make it through the difficult times in life.  He is always there strengthening me and encouraging me to serve Him and do the best that I can in life.
     This passage also reveals to me that Jesus really cares.  He was deeply sorrowful that His friend Lazarus had died.  In the same way, Jesus cares about us.  The Bible says that Jesus is our great High Priest who is touched with the feelings of our infirmities.  He has been tempted in all manner as we have been, yet He is without sin.  He understands our pain, trouble and our weaknesses, and He stands with us and encourages us in each step we take on the path that has been laid our before us.
     The fact of Jesus' weeping in this passage is something that I have thought a lot about.  First of all, I am without doubt that Jesus wept over the fact that His good friend has died.  However, I think that Jesus was weeping for two other reasons.  I think that Jesus wept because He was going to raise Lazarus from the dead.  Lazarus had to come back from Heaven to this earth and face everything on earth all over again.  Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, but I believe that Jesus knew that He wasn't doing Lazarus any favors.  I also think that Jesus wept because the people that He was closest too still didn't understand who He was and what He came to do.  They did not really believe that He could bring Lazarus back to life.
     I think that there are many things in the world and in the church that Jesus weeps over today.  But that is a message for another time in the near future.
    So, how does this miracle demonstrate the divinity of Jesus.  It does so in three ways.  First of all,, Jesus raised a dead man and brought him back to life.  Only God has the power to bring someone back to life.  However, the four day time period that Lazarus was dead is important in this account.  There was a belief in Jesus' day that after a person died, their spirit lingered near the body for three days until that spirit went to Heaven.  Jesus waited beyond the three days to clearly show that all power belonged to Him in Heaven and on earth.  As God, Jesus could do whatsoever He wished to do.  He had all power.
     Finally, this passage demonstrates the divine power of Jesus because on the last day, Jesus will be the one who raises those who believe in Him to newness of life.  Jesus is the resurrection and the life.  Whoever believes in Him will live even though they die.
     One day, Jesus will come again in power and great glory.  Those who have believed in Him will be raised to a resurrection of life to be with Jesus in a glorified body forever and forever.  Those who denied Jesus as Lord will be raised to a resurrection of destruction where they will be separated from the divine Savior Jesus Christ for all eternity.
     I say to you today, if you have never turned to Jesus for salvation, turn your life over to Him today.  He is the resurrection and the life.  All power belongs to Jesus.  Let Him be your friend now and throughout all of eternity.
     Next week, I will post a message about what is the ultimate sign of who Jesus is.  On Monday, I will post the verses.  Next Wednesday is a holiday in the United States and the library where I post the blog is closed.  Therefore, the review will be delayed until Thursday.  May God bless you all.  Amen.

No comments: