Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Book Review

     Some of the most interesting books I have read I have just happened to come upon by chance.  This is the case with the book that I am reviewing today.  I was just browsing in the library when I saw this book on display in the new books section.
     "Mercy:  The Incredible Story of Henry Bergh" is written by Nancy Furstinger and published by Houghton Mifflin.  It is intended for younger readers, but I was attracted to the book because I knew that Bergh was the founder of the ASPCA.  I really didn't know much about the man, and I was hoping that this book would give me some good information about his life.  It certainly did that.
     Bergh was a wealthy man of privilege who decided to use his position to help animals.  In the day and age in which Bergh lived, animal abuse was rampant.  Dogs were used in fighting and baiting of other animals.  Horses were worked to the point of death and often beaten.  Bergh worked hard to put an end to these abuses.
     Bergh not only worked to end the mistreatment of animals, he would also devote time and energy to stopping the abuse of children.
     I thought that this was a well-written book with a lot of good information in it.  I would recommend it for readers both young and old.  I am hoping that someday I can find a book that will discuss the life of the minister who founded the RSPCA in Britain.

No comments: