Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Music Reviews and Recommendations

     Over the last couple of weeks, I've been listening to some of my CDs, and I just wanted to recommend some of the music that I've been enjoying.
     Bryn Terfel is considered by many to be one of the best opera singers performing at this time.  In addition to his opera work, Terfel has released several albums of more popular works.  His album "Simple Gifts" contains some great performances of religious music.  I highly recommend this CD.
     I have quite a few Larry Carlton CDs in my collection, and I've been listening to some of these the past few weeks.  Carlton is a multiple Grammy Award winner and his styles include pop, jazz and contemporary instrumental.  I like the albums where he focuses on the acoustic guitar the best.
     One of my favorite CD collections that I listen to over and over again is a collection of CDs by flutist Jean-Pierre Rampal.  I received this collection for Christmas one year and it contains 10 CDs by this outstanding classical musician.  I don't know if the collection is still sold, but if you can find any single CDs of Rampal, I would highly recommend that you purchase them as they will give you hours of listening enjoyment.  Toby used to sit with me out on the back steps and listen to the Rampal CDs with me.
     I've enjoyed Celtic music for a long time.  My Dad and I didn't have much in common when it came to music, but we both enjoyed Celtic.  My favorite band is the Tannahill Weavers, and I've been listening to their CDs quite a bit.  I also enjoy listening to the Chieftans a lot.
     Two other CDs I've been enjoying a lot are my "Greatest Hits" CD of John Denver and my "James Taylor Live" CD.  I've listened to the John Denver CD so many times over the years I think it's about worn out.  The James Taylor CD has two CDs with it.  It is a great concert.  James Taylor usually comes to my area in the Summer and plays concerts in outdoor venues.  It is way too hot around here for me to go to any outside concerts in the Summer.  I am hoping that one day he will perform at an indoor venue.  The tickets would probably be so high that I wouldn't be able to go anyway.
     Finally, I would like to recommend to you the work of Jazz legend Paul Desmond.  Desmond is most well-known for his work with Dave Brubeck, but after leaving Brubeck's group, Desmond went on to record several albums with other artists.  One of the best pairings was Desmond recordings with guitarist Jim Hall.  They produced at least a couple of albums together, and they are well worth listening to.  I would certainly recommend all of the albums where Desmond is a part of the Brubeck group.
     Just as an aside, I had the pleasure of getting to see Dave Brubeck in concert once.  Paul Desmond had long since passed away.  However, the saxophonist with the group did an excellent job.  This concert along with the time I got to see Herbie Hancock in concert are among my best concert memories.

No comments: