Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Thoughts on a Tuesday

     The story that Jesus told about the rich man and Lazarus holds a lot of meaning for me.  I have shared at various times on the blog some of my thoughts on this teaching of Jesus and how that it has influenced my life.
     This last week, I felt that the Lord was speaking something to my spirit through this story.  I also felt like Jesus wanted me to share some of these thoughts here on the blog.
     The other day, the thought came into my mind that right now, it seems as if the rich nations of the Western world are acting like the rich man did with Lazarus who was laid at his gate.  There are some very wealthy nations in this world, including my own, where many people have great abundance.  On the other hand, there are a number of countries where the people are in deep poverty or they are experiencing extreme persecution.  Often, the rich nations of the world and multi-national corporations exploit the poor so that they can gain more and more riches.  What are the wealthy nations and people of this world doing to help those who are in poverty and in need?  We could be doing so much more.
     Instead of increasing more and more for ourselves, maybe we should all think about, myself included, doing more to help alleviate the poverty and heartache in this world.
     I know that the Lord has impressed upon my heart this week to find more ways to give and more ways to help those in need.  I need to be more of an advocate for social justice in my land and in the nations of the world.  I know that I need to share more of what I have so that others who have little will be able to make it in this world.
     I don't want to be like the rich man and ignore the needy person at my gate.  I hope that each of us who has the means to do so will try to give more and help more so that this world will be a better place.

No comments: