Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Book Recommendations

    Just a view days ago, I came across an old program that was an interview with author and veterinarian James Herriot. I had never had the opportunity to see an extended interview with him, and as he is my favorite writer, I was very happy to get to see this.  By the way, you can see this interview on YouTube.
     I know that I've written about the Herriot books, and other books written by veterinarians here on the blog in the past.  However, there are new readers coming to the blog, so I thought I would just mention and recommend some of the veterinarian books that I've enjoyed.
     Of course, the books by James Herriot are my favorite.  "All Creatures Great and Small" is the first book in the series.  The others in order are, "All Things Bright and Beautiful", "All Things Wise and Wonderful", "The Lord God Made Them All" and "Every Living Thing".  "James Herriot's Yorkshire", is a great book to see pictures of the countryside of which Herriot writes about so well.
     There are also collections of his stories about dogs, cats, other animals, and some of his stories have been adapted into children's books.  I would also recommend the "All Creatures Great and Small" television series.  My Mom and I would watch these programs on Sunday evenings on the local PBS channel.  We were always happy when there was a new episode.
     Another veterinarian whose books I've enjoyed left the veterinary profession and became a minister in the Church of Scotland.  His books are "Vet in the Vestry" and "Poultry In the Pulpit"
     Nick Trout is another veterinarian who has written some interesting books.  I've enjoyed reading his books, "Tell Me Where it Hurts" and "Love is the Best Medicine".
   

No comments: