Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Book Review -- Two Books About Animal Rights

    Today I would like to discuss a couple of books that I've read recently that discuss the concept of animal rights.  If you've read this blog for any amount of time, I am sure that you are aware that I love animals, dogs in particular, and I am wholeheartedly committed to protecting wildlife and the environment.
    In reading some other texts on animal issues, I kept seeing reference made to two books, so I decided to obtain them through inter library loan and read them.  The first book is "The Moral Status of Animals" written by Stephen R.L. Clark.  This is a philosophical work, and some may find it difficult to read.  What I liked best about this work, is that Professor Clark outlines many of the objections that people raise regarding the rights of animals, and then he explains why he believes that these arguments do not stand up to scrutiny.
     The second book is "Bless the Beasts: A Spirituality of Animal Care" written by Jeffrey Sobosan who was a professor of theology.  The author argues that Christians should care about animals.  He suggests that Christian theology has incorporated too many ideas from Greek philosophy that set man against nature.
     I found both of these books to be very interesting and well worth reading.  You may not agree with all of the ideas and arguments expressed by the authors, but their ideas are certainly worth studying.  Both of these books are out-of-print, so look for them online or at your local library.

No comments: