Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Dog Movie Review -- "A Dog's Purpose"

     Instead of reviewing a book today, I am going to review a movie that I watched last week. The name of the movie is "A Dog's Purpose". This movie is based on the book of the same name written by W. Bruce Cameron. I have not read the book, so I can't comment on how closely the movie follows the book. However, I can say that I thought that this was an excellent movie.
    The major theme of "A Dog's Purpose" is centered around a dog's attempt to find the meaning for his existence. The dog is reincarnated several different times, and he retains the memories of his previous lives. Each of his lives adds to his attempt at finding meaning and purpose.
    The main story in the movie is centered on the time when the dog is named Bailey and lives with a boy named Ethan. These two have a wonderful relationship, and Bailey will view his time with Ethan as the primary relationship of his lives.
     The movie really focuses on four of Bailey's lives. After his time with Ethan, the dog is born as a German shepherd who becomes a police dog. After that life, the dog is born as a Welsh Corgi, and he belongs to a young woman who is in college. Later, the dog is reborn and comes back to discover that he has found Ethan again as an older man.
     I don't want to give too much of the movie away. I don't want to spoil it for those who want to watch it.
    All of the stories within the overarching story are good. The story about the dog and Ethan as a young man and as an older man are the best parts.
    The story about Bailey and Ethan reminded me of the fun that I had with Toby when I was in my late teens and twenties. He went everywhere with me just as Bailey and Ethan were almost always together.
     I also really enjoyed the fact that there was a Welsh Corgi in the film. Toby was a Welsh Corgi. The Corgi in this film is cute and very well trained.
     Now, let me talk about one thing that is disturbing those who have reviewed this movie on Christian movie review sites. Reincarnation is discussed in this film. As a Christian myself, I do not believe in reincarnation. However, it is just a device for the film. You do not have to believe in it just to have a good time watching this wonderful movie.
    I do think that a little bit of caution should be exercised with younger viewers. The dog passes away three times in this movie before he is reborn. That may disturb some children.
    I definitely recommend "A Dog's Purpose", and I hope that you will view it if you have the chance. I really loved this movie. 

No comments: