Friday, June 29, 2018

Weekend Sermon -- "Jesus is the Great Physician"

     Thank you for taking the time to read the Weekend Sermon this week. I am once again thankful to the Lord for the opportunity that He has given me to post the sermons. I hope and pray that everyone is doing well.
     This week has gone well in writing. We had some storms in my area, but there wasn't any damage, and I am thankful to the Lord for that. I am still trying to find the right part-time job, so I would ask that you would please pray for me in this matter.
     As you go to prayer this week, there are several matters that need our prayers. First of all, I heard a report today that there is still some problems with the Ebola outbreak in Congo. Let us all pray that this outbreak will cease.
    Let us pray for those who were injured in the shooting in Maryland yesterday. Pray that the injured will quickly recover, and pray that God will comfort those who mourn.
    Please pray for the children who have been separated from their parents at the US border. Pray that everyone will be reunited soon.
    Continue to pray for peace in this world. Let us pray for peace in Syria, Yemen, Libya, South Sudan and Afghanistan.
     Please pray that the World Cup matches will all be safe. I am having a lot of fun following the World Cup this year.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for Togo and Cambodia. Pray that many will hear the message of the love of Jesus.
     Over the course of the last few weeks, we have been in a series of message I've called "Who is Jesus?" For today's message, we will exam the way in which Jesus is the Great Physician.
     In Mark chapter 2, we read the account of how Jesus called Levi, also known as Matthew, to be one of His twelve disciples. When Jesus called Matthew, he left all to follow Jesus. He then had Jesus over to his house for a dinner.
    At the dinner, the Pharisees and the religious leaders criticized Jesus for eating with tax collectors and other sinners. Jesus replied in Mark 2: 17, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners."
    From this passage, people have referred to Jesus as the Great Physician. There are three ways in which Jesus fulfills this role that I would like us to focus on today.
    First of all, Jesus is presented in the Bible as the one who was the healer of those who were physically sick. People came from all over the region to bring those who were sick to Jesus. They knew that Jesus would have compassion on the sick. He would lay His hands on the sick and bring them back to good health.
     While He was ministering here on this earth, Jesus healed those who blind, deaf and lame. We have many instances recorded in the Bible where Jesus brought physical healing to people.
     Jesus is the Great Physician who still brings physical healing today. I believe that when we pray and ask the Lord to make us well that He at times will do that in accordance with His will. I know that everyone who believes in Jesus will ultimately be healed when they see Jesus face to face in Heaven,
     I know that the Lord healed me of vitiligo. I had this skin condition, and it was a bad case. I prayed for a long time. One day, it started to get better, and now you would never be able to tell that I had vitiligo.
    When my friend Toby had a bad skin problem, I prayed and asked Jesus to heal him. Toby was healed of his skin problem.
    Now, there have been other times when I prayed and the healing did not come this side of Heaven. I prayed every day that my Mom would get better after she had a stroke. I prayed for her for five years until she past away. She never improved at all. However, I know that because Jesus is the resurrection and life that my Mom is totally healed right now.
     I don't know why Jesus heals some things and some people now while others have to wait until they get to Heaven. This I do know. It is always right to pray and ask the Lord for healing. I believe that Jesus heals.
     Jesus is also the Great Physician because He helps heal us of our mental health issues. I have struggled with depression for many years. Sometimes I have been so low that I didn't think that I would make it. The only way that I did make it was because I could rely on Jesus and His abiding presence to help me make it through the hardest times.
     The Lord Jesus provides a peace that is hard to explain. To me, I feel His peace as a feeling in my soul that no matter what happens, I am loved by the Lord. This gives me the ability to keep going in spite of the fact that people on this earth are often so hateful.
     There is one other way in which Jesus is the Great Physician. Jesus is the one who heals us from our sin. Jesus came to show us how to live a life of love. He came to die on the cross for the sins of the world.
     All of us have sinned and fallen short of God's righteous standard. However, Jesus has come. Through His death and resurrection, we can be forgiven from our sins. We can have a relationship with the Lord. We can have eternal life and be with Jesus throughout eternity.
     If you are suffering from an illness or disease, pray and bring your need to the Lord. If you are facing mental health difficulties, pray and ask Jesus to be with you in a special way. If you need forgiveness from sins, turn to Jesus and let Him offer you a new and more abundant life.
     Next week, we will continue with our series about Jesus. I will post the verses on Monday. There will not be review this Wednesday because the library is closed for US Independence Day. I may post the review on Thursday. May God bless you all. Amen.
















No comments: