Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Book Review -- "If Cats Disappeared From The World"

     Before I being this review, I want to let you know that this is the first of three posts that I will be making today.

     The book that I am reviewing today is called "If Cats Disappeared From the World" written by Genki Kawamura. This is a short novel, but there is a lot in it to think about.
     The main character in the book is a young postman who lives in Japan. Early on in the book, he learns that he only has a short time to live. The devil appears to the postman. The devil looks just like the postman, but the devil always wears Hawaiian shirts.
     The devil makes a deal with the young postman. The postman will be granted an extra day of life when he agrees to allow one thing to be eliminated from the earth. The young postman agrees, and on the first day, he has the devil eliminate phones.
      Each day, the postman and the devil agree about one thing to eliminate. The postman then reflects on how life is different without that thing on earth.
     During the course of the novel, the postman reflects on his life with his family when he was younger. His mother has died, and he is estranged from his father.
     As one thing after another is eliminated, the young man reflects on what is truly meaningful in life.
     A few days into their bargain, the devil says that the next item that the young man will have to eliminate from the world is cats. The postman loves his cat Cabbage, and he remembers the wonderful relationship that he and his mother had with another cat named Lettuce.
     Will the young man agree to eliminate cats from the world? Will he find out what the meaning of his life is? Will he reconcile with his father? These are questions that you will have to read the book in order to find out.
     I enjoyed reading this book. It made me think about my life and what is truly valuable. I thought a lot about the life I had with my parents and my dog Toby when we were all together. I definitely recommend "If Cats Disappeared From the World."

No comments: