Friday, March 1, 2019

Weekend Sermon -- Luke 12:6-7

     Thank you for taking the time to read the Weekend Sermon this week. I am thankful to the Lord for the opportunity to post the sermon. I hope that everyone has had a good week so far.
     This week has gone well. I've had a good week in writing, and I have felt a little better than I have for the past few weeks.
     This coming weekend, the forecast in my area is for another bad winter storm. Please pray that this storm is not too bad. If we do get snow, please pray that they come by with the snow plow quickly. I need to be able to get to work. I've had to miss several days this month because I had the bad kidney infection. I am worried that if I miss any more days that I will be in trouble at work. I have to drive about three miles on an old country road before I get to a main road, and this is hard in the snow when you have a little car. Thank you for your prayers.
     There are a lot of other matters that we need to pray for this week. There are tensions between India and Pakistan. Let us pray that this problem resolves peacefully.
     Please continue to pray for an end to the Ebola outbreak in Congo. Pray for an end to the measles outbreak in Madagascar.
     Let us continue to pray for peace in the troubled areas of this world. Please pray for peace in Syria and Yemen. Pray for peace in any area of the world where you know there is turmoil.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us all pray for those who live in the nations of Japan and Lebanon. Pray that many will hear about the grace and love of Jesus.
     For today's message, I would like to discuss Jesus' words in Luke 12:6-7. Jesus says, "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten by God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered, Fear not, you are of more value than many sparrows."
     I often feel very insignificant. I live in a little town in the rural Midwest. My little town only has a population of 200 people. I often feel like a speck in the midst of the vastness of the cosmos. I'm far from famous. I am not wealthy or powerful. I'm just a man trying to be a writer who wants to serve the Lord as best as possible and get by from day to day.
     On many days, I wonder why the Lord would care about someone as insignificant and unimportant as me. He has a lot more important people who need His attention.
     The verses that Jesus spoke in our passage today are words that give me comfort and let me realize that the Lord does care about me. He believes that I have value.
      Jesus says in this passage that God even remembers the sparrows. We have a lot of sparrows where I live. You can see several of them around this time of year. The robins, cardinals and blue jays have headed south for the winter. The sparrows, the blackbirds and a few hawks are still around.
     I have one sparrow who likes to rest on top of my porch light under the awning in order to get out of the wind and the snow. I try not to startle it when I go out the door so it doesn't fly away.
     Jesus said that He cares about that little sparrow. Something that seems to many to be insignificant is important to the Lord.
     Jesus said that we are of more value than many sparrows. Jesus knows everything that there is to know about me and about everyone who lives on earth right at this very second. He said that the hairs on our heads are all numbered.
      When I am facing difficulties, sickness and hard times, I can rest in the knowledge that the Lord Jesus knows what I am going through, and He know just how I feel. He cares about the problems that I am facing. In the great scheme of things, they aren't that important. But since they are important and vital for me, the Lord in Heaven cares about them as well.
      It gives me great comfort to know that the Lord of all Creation knows who I am and loves me. People on earth may not show that they care, but we can rest assured that Jesus cares, and we can know that He is always with us through every high and every low of life
     Everyone is a great value to the Lord. Others may have told you that you are worthless and that you don't matter. You matter to the one who made all things. You matter to the one who loved you and gave up His life for you. You matter to the one who is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
     Just to conclude. The Lord says that we are of more value than many sparrows, but all that the Lord created has value too. Let us all honor and respect what God has made and called good.
     Next week, I will be posting the sermon on Saturday as I am supposed to work on Friday. I hope to post the verses on Monday. The review will probably be on Thursday again this week. Once again, please pray in regard to this predicted winter storm. Thank you again. May God bless you all. Amen.

No comments: