Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Review -- Dynasties

     I like to watch nature documentaries. Those who have read this blog for awhile know that I care deeply about animals and the environment. I have recently watched a DVD series that I found to be superb. "Dynasties" is a five-part series narrated by Sir David Attenborough.  
     Each episode of the series follows one animal species and one family unit within that species. There are separate episodes on tigers, painted dogs, lions, penguins and chimpanzees. Tigers and painted dogs are my favorite animals, so I was pleased that they were part of the series, and I thought the episodes about the tigers and painted dogs were the best of the series. 
     Each film really captures the beauty of the animals. Each of the animals is involved in a struggle to stay alive and to keep the family line going. In the episode about the painted dogs, the alpha female has kept her pack going for many years. However, her daughter who is the head of another pack drives her mother's pack out of their territory. The mother has to move her pack into lion territory and survive in a harsh environment. This is one of the best nature programs I've watched, and I've watched a lot. 
     Of particular interest to me in the painted dog episode was the fact that it was filmed in Zimbabwe in the same area where Painted Dog Conservation works with the painted dog population. I've helped support Painted Dog Conservation through Wildlife Conservation Network. WCN is a terrific charity that helps animals all over the world. I urge you to check them out. 
     The episode on the tigers was excellent as well. The mother tiger did an extraordinary job bringing up four cubs. 
      I highly recommend "Dynasties". Watch it as soon as you can. 

No comments: