Saturday, September 14, 2019

Weekend Sermon -- II Corinthians 5:1-9

     Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon. I am glad to be able to post the sermon this week. We did not get any bad weather, and I am thankful to the Lord for that. Thank you for your prayers in that matter. I hope everyone is having a very good day.
     Last week, I announced that we would be starting a new series of messages this week. We will be studying II Corinthians 5 for the next few weeks. This is a chapter that has a lot of important things in it that I want to share.
     Today, we will be covering the section from verses 1 through 9. In this section, the Apostle Paul speaks about being in our earthly body but longing to be with Jesus in the heavenly dwelling place.
Paul states clearly in Chapter 5 and verse 1 that those who belong to Jesus have a resurrected body with the Lord in heaven when death comes to this earthly body. Paul states, "We know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands."
     Those who belong to Jesus don't have to worry about death. Jesus has triumphed over death through His glorious resurrection. Jesus has promised that those who believe in Him will be with Him forever in the place that He has prepared for those who love Him.
     In Philippians 3:21, Paul tells us that one day, we will receive a new body that is like the glorious body of the Lord Jesus. That is certainly something to look forward to. Death does not have the final victory over the Christian because Jesus is the resurrection and life.
     While we are still in this body, Paul says that we groan and long to be in heaven with the Lord. Paul also states that in this body, we are burdened. Paul speaks about groaning in this life in another passage in Romans where he talks about all of the created order groaning and awaiting the day when Jesus make all things new.
     I truly understand what Paul is speaking about when he says we groan and are burdened in this life. I haven't been feeling well lately. I've also had a flair up with the depression that has plagued me since I was in my teens. Life can be hard to deal with.
     Many people have to deal with problems that are much worse than what I have to deal with. People all over this world are facing horrific circumstances. I don't know how some people can stand to go on facing what they have to face in life.
      When we are faced with so many burdens and problems in this life, we long to go home and be with the Lord Jesus. We long to be out of these bodies with their sickness and pain, and we long for a glorified body that is not hindered by the hurts and limitations of this existence.
     I know that I would most certainly like to be at home with the Lord. I am so tired of this world. I am tired of  having to read and hear about all of the suffering that people have to endure. I am tired of the war and political turmoil. I am tired of the fact that so many don't care about the world and the animals that are in it. I long to be at home with Jesus.
     Most of my family and friends are at home with the Lord right now. One day, we will all have a great reunion. It is all possible because of what Jesus has done through His death and through His resurrection from the dead.
    Paul says in verse 8 of chapter 5 that he would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. I certainly feel that way. I find it hard to understand Christians who don't feel this way, but I know some people who do feel that way. They make statements such as I want to go heaven, but I'm not ready to go yet. Paul was ready to go to be with Jesus right away. However, he was trusting in God's will for his life. That is the key.
     The Lord has a reason and a purpose for keeping us here on this earth instead of taking so to be with Him. We are called to do His will and to spread the message of His love to others. We are to be ambassadors for the Lord as long as the Lord wants us to be here.
     Paul tells us in verse 10 that our goal should always be to please the Lord wherever we are. We are to follow the Lord faithfully in the circumstances in which we are in.
     Life is hard at times, and I want to go and be with the Lord and see my family again. However, I have to carry on and do the things that the Lord has called me to do. I have to do what I can to tell others about the Lord, and I have the duty to try and make this world a better place and help others. That is what all followers of Jesus are called to do.
     Whatever problem or difficulty you are facing in life, I urge you to pray and ask the Lord to help you. Ask Him to help you to do His will in His way in this world. Always pray for the Lord's will to be done in you life. One day, we will be with the Lord, and all things will be well and right and good. That will be a glorious day. Amen


Prayer Requests and Other Matters:

      This was a very good week in my writing work, and I want to thank the Lord for providing for me. I would ask that you pray that I get to feeling better both mentally and physically. I thank you for your prayers.
     Please pray for the people in the Bahamas this week. The hurricane that hit that nation caused horrible damage. Many are in desperate conditions. Pray that the people will get the help and the aid that they need during this hard time.
     There were people affected by the hurricane in the Carolinas and in parts of Canada. Pray that these people will get the help that they need as well.
     Please pray that people on planet earth will start taking caring of this planet. I am upset that this week the US government announced that a large part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge will be opened up for oil exploration. Please pray that people will care about the earth and take care of it and not exploit everything for profit.
     Continue to pray for an end to the Ebola outbreak in Congo.
     Pray for peace in the troubled areas of the world. Yemen and Syria are really in need of prayers for peace right now.
     For our prayer focus countries, let us pray for those in Tunisia and Bahrain. Pray that many will hear about the grace and mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ.
     Please pray for migrants and refugees. Pray for their safety and health.
     Next week, we will continue with our series on II Corinthians 5. I have several different series planned out for the next few weeks. On Monday, I will post the verses. I hope to have a review on Wednesday. I will post the sermon on Saturday. May God bless you all. Amen.

No comments: