Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Book Review

     The book that I am reviewing today is a little different than the books I usually review here on the blog. The book for today is entitled, "How To Teach Philosophy To Your Dog: Exploring The Big Questions In Life" written by Anthony McGowan.
     This book is not a book about dogs. It is an introduction to philosophy that uses the device of the author walking with and talking to his dog Monty in order to introduce and explain a number of different philosophical ideas.
     Each chapter is set up as a walk that the author and his dog are taking in places near the author's home in London. On these walks, Anthony McGowan and Monty discuss ethics, theories of knowledge, ontology, the meaning of life and other topics.  As the book progresses, you find that the author has provided a detailed and fun presentation of the major areas of philosophy.
     If you have ever wanted to learn something about philosophy but you didn't know where to start, this would be a great book for you. I think that this would be an interesting book to use in an intro to philosophy course.
     I've always enjoyed studying philosophy, and I minored in the subject in college. If I could go back in time, I would have studied it more and become a philosophy professor.
     I highly recommend "How To Teach Your Dog Philosophy".  The book has an inventive premise, and it provides a lot of information in a clear manner. The author is a writer of children and young adult books, and this book is well-written.

No comments: