Saturday, February 15, 2020

Weekend Sermon -- II Peter 3:11-14

     Welcome to this edition of the Weekend Sermon. I thank the Lord for the opportunity to post the message this week. It is my hope that everyone is having a very good week.
     For the past several weeks, we've been in a series of messages on the book of II Peter. We only have two more messages in the series, and then we will be moving on to other things. 
     In last week's message, we saw that the Lord will come again in power and great glory. The Bible unequivocally teaches the literal Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. 
     No one knows the day or the hour when Jesus will return. Until He does, we are to do what we can to make this world the type of place that is good for the generations that will come after us.  We need to help others, and help to make this world a little better than the way that we found it. 
     In today's message, I want to look at more about what Peter has to say about how we should live in light of the fact that Jesus could return at any moment.  We see in verse 11 that Peter states that we should be living godly and holy lives. 
     All throughout the Gospels, Jesus explains to His followers the way that they should be living in the world. Jesus gave His followers the command that they should love one another even as He had loved them. In another passage of Scripture, Jesus tells us that we are to love God and love our neighbor. On these two commandments stand all the Law and the Prophets. 
     If we live a life that is filled with love for God and love for others, we cannot help but fulfill the requirements that Jesus set down for His followers. If we are loving God and loving our neighbor, we will be living the kind of lives that will not cause us to be ashamed at Jesus' coming. 
     I am afraid that when Jesus comes, many will be engaging in activities that are opposed to the word of the Lord and the teachings of Jesus. I believe that from what I observe, many are not living in such a way that they are actively trying to share the love of Jesus with the world. 
     I know that there is more that I can do for the Lord in this world, and I hope to incorporate more of the work of the Lord into my life. If I am alive when the Lord Jesus comes, I want to be able to rejoice in His appearance and not feel ashamed because when He returns I was doing something wrong or not doing something good that I could be doing. The same thing is true if I should die and go to meet the Lord today. I want to have lived in such a way that I will hear the Lord say "Well done;" I don't want to hear the Lord say to me that I lived a life that was wasted or that wasn't what it should have been for Him. 
     Peter states in verse 14 that we should, "make every effort to be spotless, blameless and at peace with Him." When I read this verse, the first thing that comes to my mind is confession of sins. When I do something that I know is wrong, I try to ask forgiveness right away. I don't want there to be something hindering a right relationship between me and the Lord Jesus. The Bible tells us that if we confess our sins, the Lord will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
     That phrase about being at peace with Him also makes me think of something else. There are Christians that have something in their heart against the Lord. They love the Lord, but they are upset with the Lord about things that have happened. They blame the Lord at times for letting bad things happen to them in this life. 
      Maybe I'm just preaching to myself on this, but I know that there are times when bad things happen and I get upset and think that the Lord should not have allowed that to happen. I often think about this with my Mom. If you've read the blog for awhile, you know that my Mom had a bad stroke about 15 years ago. It left her in a terrible state mentally. My Dad and I had to take care of her for five years before she passed away. 
      My Mom was a committed Christian. She taught Sunday school and children's church for many years. She worked in the vacation Bible school, she led the youth choir and she worked in evangelism ministry. When I saw my Mom reduced to what she was after her stroke, it really upset me. I wondered how God could let something so terrible happen to someone who tried so hard to do things for the Kingdom of Heaven. 
      For quite a while, the Lord and I were not at peace about this. However, I felt the Lord's presence with me through the hard times of taking care of my Mom. He never left me, and He has helped me through. I came to the place where I just had to say to the Lord that I don't understand, but I still trust and believe in you. I feel the peace of the Lord in my heart. I want to be in the position that I feel the Lord's peace in my heart should He return this very moment. 
     Now, I want to go back and focus on verse 13 which states, "We are looking forward to a new heaven, and a new earth, where righteousness dwells."  As followers of Jesus, the world the way it is now is not truly are home. We are looking for a city whose builder and maker is the Lord. 
     The way that the world is today, I feel like a stranger here. There is so much violence, hatred and exploitation of the poor. This can't be the way that things are supposed to be. While I try to do what I can to help make things better, I know that this world will not be what it should be until Jesus comes. 
      Those who worship the Lord can't really feel comfortable in this world's system. We live in the anticipation of a world where Jesus reigns. 
      I know that the message this week has been a little rambling. I apologize. I have a lot on my mind right now. This Monday will mark 10 years since my Dad passed away. It is really making me sad. I know that my family is with the Lord Jesus. I do miss them all. I know that when Jesus comes, or when I pass away, I will see them again. Without Jesus, I'd never make it in this world. I hope that He comes back soon. Amen. 


Prayer Requests And Other Matters

      This week we've had the coldest temperatures of the year where I live, and we've had a snow storm. Thankfully, I've been able to get around OK. Monday, I have to go back to the doctor and see if she will allow me to go back to work at my part time job. My foot is getting better, and I thank the Lord for that. I want to thank the Lord for so much writing work lately. 
      In prayer this week, please pray concerning the coronavirus. Pray that those who are sick will recover, and pray that this virus will stop spreading. Continue to pray for those dealing with the flu and for those in Congo dealing with the Ebola virus. 
      Thankfully, many of the fires in Australia are under control. There is still some work to be done, so keep praying. Pray for those in Puerto Rico who still need assistance. 
      Pray for peace. Syria is in great need of prayer. Pray for Yemen, Afghanistan and Libya as well. 
      For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those in Thailand and Egypt. Pray that many will hear about how much Jesus loves them. 
      Next week, we will finish up our series of messages on II Peter. I will post the verses for the week on Monday, and I will have a review of a dog book on Wednesday. May the Lord bless you all. Amen
     














No comments: