Sunday, October 3, 2021

31 Days In Proverbs -- Day 3

      As I've been going through these Proverbs and working to find the ones that I want to discuss here on the blog in our series, I've found verses in the New Testament coming readily to my mind that reiterate what the Proverb is teaching. That is definitely the case with the Proverb that I want to focus on today. 

     Proverbs 1:10 states, "My son, if sinful men entice you, do not give into them." This Proverb has me thinking about a couple of different things. First of all, we are not to give into temptations. One thing that you can be sure of if you are trying to follow the Lord Jesus is that there will be times of temptations. I Peter tells us that the devil goes out just like a roaring lion seeking who he can devour. We can resist the devil, and he will flee from us according to the book of James. James also tells us that it isn't just the devil that brings temptation. We are tempted when we are drawn away from the truth by our own lustful desires. We can resist temptation. All of those who have Jesus in their hearts have the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit to keep them from falling into sin. Also, I Corinthians 10:13 tells us that with every temptation, God will make sure that there is a way for us to escape from temptation. 

     Thinking more specifically about our Proverb for today, we are often led into doing what it wrong by those with whom we associate. I Corinthians 15:33 tells us that, "Bad company corrupts good character." This if so true. I've seen it happen many times especially with young people in college. They will start socializing with those who don't share their Christian values. Little by little, the Christian young person is drawn away from the things of God. II Corinthians 6:14 says that we are not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. This isn't just a verse about marriage. We need to guard the company that we keep so that we aren't drawn off the path that leads to life. We need to keep company with those who will encourage in what is right and in what is honoring to Jesus. 

No comments: