Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Book Review

     Last night, I went to a really good author event in the town that is about seven miles south of where I live.  Luis Montalvan who wrote the book "Until Tuesday" was there with his service dog Tuesday.  It was fun.  Mr. Montalvan spoke for over two hours, and I think that he would have gone on longer, but the librarian interrupted him and brought the evening to a close. 
     Luis Montalvan brought up some important points last night.  He is an Iraq War veteran who suffers from PTSD.  His service dog, Tuesday helps him to cope with his disability.  Luis brought up the point that just because someone isn't visibly disabled doesn't mean that they don't have a disability.  Those who suffer with mental health issues are equally struggling and trying to cope.  We shouldn't judge.
   He also brought up the point that mental health problems should be treated just as other health issues are.  Ignoring those who seek help with mental and emotional issues can lead to suicide.  Family and friends should support those with mental health problems.
    Montalvan also spoke about how that he is often not allowed to go into shops, restaurants and hotels with Tuesday even though it is required by the American with Disabilities Act.  We need more understanding of the law, and the important role that dogs play in assisting those with many types of disabilities.
    What I liked so much about the evening was that you could really tell how much Luis and Tuesday loved each other.  Luis demonstrated many of the commands that Tuesday knows and showed some of the ways that Tuesday helps him throughout the day.  Luis spoke very positively about how dogs can change people's lives through the power of their love.
     I know that Toby changed my life.  If it hadn't have been for him, I wouldn't be here now.  Suffering from anxiety problems like I have for many years makes it hard to cope with life's ups and downs.  Toby helped me to make it.  He let me know that I was loved unconditionally no matter what nasty things other people had to say about me.  I am thankful to God for that dog.
    Please read "Until Tuesday" if you get the chance.  The first time that I read it, I didn't like it as much as some other dog books.  However, when I reread it in anticipation of attending the author's night last night, I thought that it was really an excellent book.  
     
    

No comments: