Friday, October 25, 2013

Weekend Sermon--Revelation Series Conclusion

     Hello, and welcome to another week of the Weekend Sermon.  I am happy to be able to once again post a message. 
     I have something that I want to thank the Lord for today.  This last week I had a very good week working on writing.  I was able to work on travel articles, and that is something that I really enjoy.  In spite of this additional writing work, which isn't high paying, I am still facing financial problems that are now quite grave.  I have asked you all to pray about this in the last few weeks, and I ask you again today to keep praying on my behalf.  Something has to change by the end of next week, or I am probably going to be out of my house.  I have most of what I own on sale.  The problem is, nothing is selling.  I have not been able to find any type of job that I am able to do to supplement writing.  There are a lot of warehouse jobs in my area, but with my arthritic back and shoulder, there is no way that I can lift heavy objects on a regular basis.  Please pray that some kind of financial miracle will occur.
    Last week, we looked at Revelation chapter 5 and John's vision of the Lamb that was slain who was the only one who was found worthy to release the seals on the scroll in the hand of God.  Jesus has lived a perfect, holy and sinless life.  He shed His blood to redeem us and bring us back to a relationship with the Heavenly Father.  Because of what Jesus has done, He is worthy of all glory, honor and praise now and forevermore.
     It will be a great day in Heaven for me when I can join the twenty-four elders, the living creatures, the myriads of angels and the redeemed from every kindred, tribe and tongue as we bow before the Lamb and declare that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
     That leads me to another thing that I am thankful for.  Jesus said that He was the resurrection and life.  Whoever believed in Him, though they died, they would live again.  Because of what Jesus did, I know that my parents are part of the worship of God in Heaven right now.  Thanks be to God for that.  I hope to see them around the throne with all of those rejoicing one day soon.
     Today, we will finish our series on Revelation with chapters 21 and 22.  I am not skipping these other chapters because they aren't important, but when I started the series, I said that these were the only chapters that I was going to write about. 
     Revelation chapter 21 talks about the new Heaven and the new Earth that will be created after the Millennial reign of Christ.  I don't want to get too controversial today about all the different end time beliefs.  I will just say that I believe in a literal Millennium of 1,000 years.  However, I am not a Dispensationalist.  The 1,000 years of the Millennium is not the only period when the saints will be on the earth with the Lord.
     After the Millennium is over, Satan and those who follow him, will be destroyed.  At that time, God will create a new earth and a new Heaven.  The new earth will have no sea.  I take this literally.  The new world that God will create will be different from what we know now. 
     Verse 4 says that when the new Earth is created, there will be no more death, crying, sorrow or pain because all of the old things have passed away.  This is very exciting.  In my opinion, the world we live in now is horrible.  All of the natural world is based on something destroying something else.  The people that we love grow old and leave us.  The dogs that I love live 12 or so years and pass away.  Life as I've experienced it is painful.  That will all change one day.  Thank you Jesus.  It will all change one day.
     Those who follow Jesus will be with Him and the Father forever.  He will be with us forever, and we will never experience anything negative again.  We will have no needs, because Jesus will supply all of them through His abundant grace.
     Another feature of the new creation is the New Jerusalem.  This massive city created by God will be a place of unfathomable beauty.  In this city, God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple.  There is no need of the Sun, because the brilliant, glory of God supplies the light.  Only those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life may enter into the New Jerusalem.
     Chapter 22 tells about the River of Life that flows from the throne of God.  By the river is the Tree of Life which brings healing to all the nations.  There will be no war or strife in the new world to come.
     Verse 3 is an interesting verse.  It says, "There shall be no more curse."  Some people don't realize that the present world that we live in is under the curse of God.  We ask why there are storms and disease and death.  This is part of the curse.  I don't think that the world even resembles the world that God originally created when He placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.
     When the new creation comes, God will restore the world to the way that it was before sin entered into the picture, and God had to put a curse on the earth because of the sin of man who was given dominion over the earth.
     Jesus is the Second Adam.  He succeeded where Adam failed.  Adam sinned.  Jesus was sinless.  Adam did not fulfill the will of God.  Jesus perfectly fulfilled the will of the Father.  Jesus is the first born of a new creation.  His dominion brings an end to the curse and a restoration of the original Edenic state.
     Jesus speaks once again in chapter 22.  His words in verse 7 are tremendous.  He says, "Behold, I am coming quickly."  In verse 12, Jesus says that He will reward every person according to their work.  In verse 14 it says that those who obey the commandments of Jesus will have the right to the tree of life and the New Jerusalem.  Those who do not obey the commandments of Christ will have no part in the glorious new creation. 
     Jesus is coming again.  I can't wait.  I agree with John when he says in verse 20, "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."  I don't believe that there are really any prophecies left to be fulfilled before Jesus comes.  Jesus could return at any moment to establish his rule upon this earth.  Are you ready should Jesus come today?  I hope that your answer is yes.  I hope that you have repented of your sins and asked Jesus to be your Lord and Savior.  If not, please do so today.  Life is short.  No one is guaranteed a tomorrow.  Today is the day of salvation.  Only those in Christ will take part in life in the new creation and the glorious New Jerusalem.
     This ends our study of Revelation.  I was going to start a new series.  However, Advent season is not that far away.  For the next few messages, I will just give messages on various texts instead of doing a series.  Lord willing, I will start a series on I Peter in January.  Next week, depending on what happens with all I am dealing with, I will post a review.  Please pray for me, and may God bless you as you seek to honor Him.  Amen.

No comments: