Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Book Review -- Tobit's Dog

     Today I am reviewing the book entitled "Tobit's Dog" written by Michael Nicholas Richards.  This book is a fictionalized account of the book of Tobit which is found in the Old Testament in Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Bibles and is included in the Apocrypha by many Protestant churches.
    In this book, the author moves the setting of the story from Nineveh in the time before Christ to the period just before World War II in the American South when racism was a terrible problem.
    Those who love dogs probably know that the book of Tobit mentions that when Tobias and the archangel Raphael in disguise went on their journey, Tobias' dog went with them.  In the book, "Tobit's Dog" the dog is named Okra and he plays a much more prominent role than the dog in the book of Tobit. I won't say more than that and give the story away.
     I felt that this book was very well done.  The story was quite believable, and the author did a great job of setting the story in a more modern setting.  Some of the instances from the book of Tobit are changed around so that they aren't as supernatural in their presentation.
    I would recommend this book to those looking for a good story with a moral message.  It also has a good dog character.
    For those who have never read the book of Tobit in the Bible, I would recommend that you read it too.  It is one of my favorite books of the Bible.  I would also recommend that you read I and II Maccabees and Judith as well.

No comments: